cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite protection with BE 2012

nitsuj7
Level 4

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to 2012 in a hope to solve many issues related to 2010 r3. I know, maybe not a good idea :(

Everything seemed to convert and I like the new layout and "backup paradigm". 

I have various backup jobs throughout the week backing up to disk and then dupilcating to tape on sundays. 

The first duplication job runs fine, the next job fails. A warning is generated asking me to insert overwritable media.

Inspecting the tape I still have:

• 1.14 TB free
  • Overwrite protection Until: Is a date 3 weeks from now
  • Appendable until: Infinite -Allow append.

These are consistant with the media set settings I have created.

Maybe I have missunderstood the meanings of these settings. But I have space on the tape, and its set to infinite append so why can I not append to this tape?

If I erase the tape things work fine.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check my article below for some common reasons why your job is not appending to the tape.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/why-my-job-not-appending-data-my-tapes

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check my article below for some common reasons why your job is not appending to the tape.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/why-my-job-not-appending-data-my-tapes

nitsuj7
Level 4

I have followed the article.

1. The jobs are not set to overwrite

2. I only have one tape and the backups should easly fit on the tape.

3. For this media set append period is set to Infinite -Allow append.

4. My jobs did overlap tho.

I have resheduled so the jobs do not overlap. See how this goes.

So when a job cannot append it switchs to overwrite mode and I think this is what is happening here. Even if I rerun the job it still fails.

I have got around this by setting the job to "overwrite" saving the setting then setting it back to "Append, overwrite if if no appendable media is available". This seems to reset the setting and I can now duplicate to tape.

Thanks for your help.