cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to Incorporate Encryption into Backup Jobs?

David_Jennings
Level 5
I'm currently running BE 10.0 v5484 on a Windows 2000 file server. Recently my director has expressed interest in off-site storage of media, but with the current backup scheme if anyone were to get a hold of the tape they'd be able to recover the data. Is there a way to encrypt the data as it's written to the tape or does Symantec offer any software to encrypt the data that is compatible w/ Veritas? I've searched through the forum but all I've seen is issues w/ encryption and BE 9.
11 REPLIES 11

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Backup Exec does not encrypt data.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276522

http://support.veritas.com/docs/236709

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

David_Jennings
Level 5
Ok. So if I wanted to encrypt the data I would have to encrypt it prior the backup job? And then to restore it I'd have to restore it to a drive and then run the same encryption software to get the data back?

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Data encryption is not possible but you can backup encrypted data.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

David_Jennings
Level 5
What about the Veritas Encryption Module?

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to elaborate on your question and also regarding the module that you have mentioned.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

David_Jennings
Level 5
I was referring to the Encryption Module that is available in Netbackup. I was asking whether BE had a similar module, but after searching it looks like it doesn't.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

No currently this module is not available.You can log an enhancement request for the same:

Product Enhancement Web Site:

http://enhancement.veritas.com/

Regards,

Stumpr2
Level 6
>Ok. So if I wanted to encrypt the data I would have to encrypt it
>prior the backup job? And then to restore it I'd have to restore it
>to a drive and then run the same encryption software to get the
>data back?

Yes, this would work. NetBackup is very expen$ive and you probably should not have encryption be a determining factor on whether or not to migrate.

David_Jennings
Level 5
Thanks. I'll check into possible encryption software to use, though it might not be an option to run on our file server each night.

I've been trying to get a quote for NetBackup just to have the information, but even the vendor tried to warn me.

Marc_Hall
Level 3
Another possible, and less expensive, method of encryption is to use a tape drive that has encryption built in.
The on caveat to this is that the same drive that wrote to the tape is the one that can restore from the tape. I the original drive fails......

Just a thought

Al_Capone
Level 4
I know it is not the same but at least you can protect your media with a password

but the story doesnt tell if veritas put the password in clear text on the media... We don't know with those engineers... More than often the software design sucks...