cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with entering Backup Exec 10d Media

m_ellul
Level 4
Hi,

I have just installed Backup exec 10d Media on a test server that is not connected to a network. This is so I can see what the program offers before I install on the live server.

I am having a problem logging in to the the program. When I open the program, it asks me for a user name and password and then tells me that:

'The Backup Exec Server system service is not responding. The service is either not running or not installed.'

I have checked and this service is installed but when I try to start running it, it wont start.

Has anyone had this problem before and might know why this does not work or how to fix it?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

m_ellul
Level 4
Hi all,

Looks like formatting the comp and reinstalling from the beginning did the trick :) I think it may have been some kind of settings or maybe the way I installed the software / database initially 

Thanks for all your help

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

If you can, rather use BEWS 12.5. It's the latest version, and you can get it from here...

http://www.symantec.com/business/backup-exec-for-windows-servers (click on the Trialware link on the right)

If you can only use BEWS 10d, this is an authentication error. Try recreating the user account in Backup Exec itself. If that doesn't work, create a new account on that server with the correct permissions, and then use that as the service account. You can either change the permissions for this account through Backup Exec, or manually on each service that needs it.

Hope this helps?

m_ellul
Level 4
Hi CraigV,

Thanks for your answer. I cant really change anything in the Backup Exec as it would not let me enter with the error given in my post.

I have a lisence for backup exec 10d. Would 12.5 accept the same licence for free? Or would I have to pay extra for the upgrade?

Thanks

CraigV
You'd have to pay for the license upgrade. It's a yearly thing.

Another way around this...

1. Do you know the username/password to be used? If so...
2. Open up BEutility.exe, and then use the option there to change the password of the account.

Let me know how it goes...

m_ellul
Level 4
Thankyou CraigV,

At the moment I am trying to find some information on the BEutility you told me about as I found no way to change the password.

I am finding nothing listed under the media server groups and the media servers. I am assuming that server with the installation should be listed under one of them.

Thanks

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Ok, please provide the error message when you try to start the "Backup Exec device and media service". If this starts, it could be "Backup Exec server" service. Provide the error message from event log, when you try to do this. Logon account may not be the only issue related to your problem. There can be different reasons for the service startup failure.

Thanks

CraigV
Right click your server name under Media Servers and it should give you that option.
Alternatively, post a couple of screen shots here and we can go through them!

m_ellul
Level 4
Hi,

Below I have inserted the screen shots of what I am doing step by step and the errors I recieve.

Step 1: I open the Backup Exec :
Step1.JPG

Step 2: I try to start the services

Step2.JPG

Step 3: Services try to start but get stuck here:

Step3.JPG

When try to enter the password this is the error that it gives me:

Tryingtoenterpassword.JPG

These are the services that I have for backup exec:

listofservices.JPG

The below shows the services installed for the Database

Services2.JPG
Then I checked for errors in the event viewer and this error occured:

error.JPG

Thanks again for your help both CraigV and Hermant Jain

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

Its the "backup Exec device and media" service. Open registry editor, point to HKLM/software/symantec/backup exec/bedatabase registry key and provide a screenshot for that. Did this happen after some change of server name? Or after moving database?

Thanks

m_ellul
Level 4
Hi,

Below please find the screen shot of the registry. The TEST is the server I am testing this on. Please note that this is a fresh install and I am trying it on a test server that is not connected to the network. I am testing this to see what it has and to find any installation problems before I install it on a live server.

registry.JPG

Thanks for your help

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Use following document to find out whether you see the BEDB database listed and you are able to do a test connection to it:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/256661
This test will help you determining SQL instance connectivity. This could be an MDAC issue, if this connection does not work. Also, try downloading latest MDAC available from Microsoft and apply it on the server. Following url can help you download this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=78cac895-efc2-4f8e-a9e0-3a1a...

Thanks

CraigV
OK dude...I am going to suggest this:

1. Create an admin account on that server (give it any name you like..."beadmin" sounds good! =) )
2. Open up Services, and then change the services to the following:
    Backup Exec Agent Browser - TEST\beadmin
    Backup Exec Device and Media Service - TEST\beadmin
    Backup Exec Job Engine - TEST\beadmin
    Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems - Local System
    Backup Exec Server - TEST\beadmin

Don't forget you need to put your password in twice. Restart the services once done.

3. Open up Backup Exec again, and then choose Services Credentials. Enter the details for that service account above in, and let us know if it worked.

m_ellul
Level 4
I have just gone through the test Hermant Jain told me and the test connection succeeded.

I am now going to try CraigV's suggestion

Thanks

m_ellul
Level 4
Im Sorry CraigV but your method does not seem to work either.

CraigV
Database repair through BEutility?

m_ellul
Level 4
Hi Craig,

Since there are no servers listed in the utility, I cannot repair the database.

Thanks

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Try this:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274102
Also, i hope you did apply the MDAC update as listed in my previous post.

Thanks

m_ellul
Level 4
The MDAC update is not supported on the operating system running at the moment (windows server 2003 SP2).

I will now go through the site you gave me now.

Thanks again for all your help

m_ellul
Level 4
I have tried the link you gave me last. When I type in OSQL -E -S server\BKUPEXEC and it is giving me the following error:

[DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
[DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).

It may be that I had to install a separate instance of database - namely MSDE.

Please continue posting what you think. I will be away from work until next monday so I would not be able to continue working on this problem until then. Monday I will review your posts and try whatever you tell me. I will get back to you as I try things out.

Thanks again for all your help.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

The screenshot i see here, does contain a service named mssql$bkupexec, which is bkupexec instance, the default  which BE uses. So i dont see a problem with this command working. When doing udl test, did you test bkupexec instance, where you saw the database? Your registry settings are pointing to default instance, so you need to attach the database files to default instance, to get this working. Other option would be to point your registry to correct instance, if we really know where your instance is.

Thanks