cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on duplicating backup jobs (size/compression & encryption)

Kremlar
Level 4
Partner

I setup my first Duplicate backup job yesterday and it ran through OK, but have some questions.

My initial backup job backs up several servers remotely (through Remote Agents) to a local Backup To Disk Folder.  I currently compress this backup using Software Compression and encrypt it using a 128-bit AES key. 

- Should I disable encryption from the Duplicate backup job, or perhaps disable it fron the initial job and then enable it for the Duplicate job?  I assume encypting on both the initial and Duplicate backup jobs would be redundant?

- I noticed that my test resulted in the Job Monitor showing 74GB backed up for the initial backup, but then only 57GB backed up by the Duplicate job.  Am I correct to assume that the initial backup of 74GB is before compresion?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Should I disable encryption from the Duplicate backup job

Not required.

If the source backup set is encrypted using software, the duplicate backup set is automatically encrypted using software as well. The duplicate backup set is encrypted even if you do not select an encryption type for it. And will use the same key for the encryption as the source backup, even if you select a different key.

Regards..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Should I disable encryption from the Duplicate backup job

Not required.

If the source backup set is encrypted using software, the duplicate backup set is automatically encrypted using software as well. The duplicate backup set is encrypted even if you do not select an encryption type for it. And will use the same key for the encryption as the source backup, even if you select a different key.

Regards..

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Am I correct to assume that the initial backup of 74GB is before compresion?

Yes.  This is correct.  My database backup is 16GB, but the duplicate is only 2GB.

Kremlar
Level 4
Partner

Thanks guys!