cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready; No idle devices are available

Moutavril
Level 3

Hello,

I don't understand why my symantec Exec14 displays :Ready; No idle devices are available.

but in the Media Set is available free space in the tapes.

Symantec 14-02.png

.Symantec 14.png

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified
From your second screenshot, all the tapes are protected. See the "Protected until" column. Hence the job cannot write to any take and need you to insert an overwritable tape. You need to adjust your overwrite protection period so that there are overwritable tapes BEFORE the job starts

Moutavril
Level 3

Thank you for your answer,

I have a question please:

- "Overwrite Protected until"= That mean protect the data after the backup is complete to overwrite protection period? In my case 3 weeks.

Moutavril
Level 3

My Media Set:

Symantec 14-03.png

OverWrite Protection period: Protect data for 3 Weeks

Append period: Allow the addition of data for 3 Weeks

It's correct ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How long you set the OPP and AP would depend on your requirement.  Nobody will be able to say whether setting the OPP and AP to 3 weeks is correct or not.  If you set the OPP to 3 weeks and you have a weekly backup job, then you would need more tapes because the tape would still be protected when the next backup runs.  For a greater understanding of OPP and AP, study this document carefully.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459

Moutavril
Level 3

Thank you for your help.

I don't understand  if I use a tape for the first time with OPP =3 weeks and AP = 3 weeks and I backup 100 GB on this tape, I can't use this tape after because it will protected during 3 weeks. although I OP = 3 weeks ??

How can i Protect data in the tape for 3 weeks (OPP=3Weeks) and appendable 3 Weeks?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When a tape is protected, you cannot overwrite it. However if there is still space left on the tape you can append to it. Do read the document which I have posted earlier

Moutavril
Level 3

"However if there is still space left on the tape you can append to it"

But in my case i can't append data to the tapes ? why ?

My configuration:

Symantec 4.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symantec_5.png

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Does your job start and fill the remaining space on the first tape (as an append) and then ask for another tape - as if it does spanning to subsequent tapes (2nd, 3rd , 4th etc)  in one job can never be an append.

If you look at the screesnhot you have already posted you will see that the append setting for the job is inside a box called "When this job begins" in other words  stating  that only the first tape used at the beginning of the job has the choice applied.

backupcnx
Level 2
Employee

Hello ,

You have selected the Append Period till 26th July.Kindly Change the Append Period for Infinite Allow Append for Keep Data For 3 weeks and Apply OK.And Run an Inventory for the tape and Run the Job.

Thanks

Narendrakumar

Symanetec Corp

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What is the purpose of running the inventory job?