cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Backup Exec Media Server - DLO Issue

ChrisJ
Level 4
Hi Guys,

We have a site where we need to rebuild (format) the server.  There is only one server on site and it runs as a Backup Exec Media Server and the DLO.

I have no issues with rebuilding the server or reinstalling the Backup Exec Media Server as I have done that multiple times before.  However, I have never had to rebuild a server running the DLO.    The instructions for moving Backup Exec to a new server (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319367.htm) seem to imply that to move the DLO users to the new server (after the rebuild it will have a new name) the previous storage location must exist.  Obviously if we have rebuilt the server the previous storage location will not exist.  So what process should I follow - are there any additional steps I need to perform?

My current plan of action will be to:
  1. Restore Backup Exec DLO Storage Location to disk and recreate shares.
  2. Reinstall Backup Exec Media Server & restore Backup Exec databases
  3. Reconfigure DLO to use the new storage location
  4. Move DLO users to the new storage location - can I do this if the old location doesn't exist?
Any thoughts, suggestions or advice?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ChrisJ
Level 4
 This was fairly simple in the end.

After rebuilding the server we reconnect the san and made the DLO shares accessible. Reinstalled backup exec and restored the database (changing the server name as per the Backup Exec migration docs).  We then went into the DLO and used the "Move Network User Data Folder" for each user to set the correct path (ignoring the error about the previous location not existing).  The DLO agents were then migrated to look at the new server name and straight away they were able to restore the existing data and backup from where they previously left off.

Chris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Please go through following document, in addition to what you are following:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/291026

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

ChrisJ
Level 4
 Hi Hemant,

I've seen that document, section 10 says:

10. On the new DLO Media Server, go into the Setup/Users View, highlight all users, right click and choose "Move Network User Data Folder".   Select the new Storage Location created in Step 9 and click the Start button.
Note: The Storage Location on the old Server needs to be available for this migration of data to succeed.

With what we are intending to do the old server will not be available.  Will this cause us any problems?

Thanks,

Chris

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
If you are looking at migration of data, the old location needs to exist so that you can migrate the data. So, you will have to leave the old storage location available and then perform the migration and then you can proceed with deleting old data.

Thanks

ChrisJ
Level 4
 I can't do that - we have to format the server, and there server's name will change when it is rebuilt.

I can restore the DLO backup folders after the server has been rebuilt. If I restore the data and then move the users to the new storage location will the clients pick up the restored data and be able to restore from it?

Thanks,

Chris

ChrisJ
Level 4
 This was fairly simple in the end.

After rebuilding the server we reconnect the san and made the DLO shares accessible. Reinstalled backup exec and restored the database (changing the server name as per the Backup Exec migration docs).  We then went into the DLO and used the "Move Network User Data Folder" for each user to set the correct path (ignoring the error about the previous location not existing).  The DLO agents were then migrated to look at the new server name and straight away they were able to restore the existing data and backup from where they previously left off.

Chris