cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removable device pools - use any available device

Ross_McKerchar
Level 3
I have a device pool with configured with multiple "Removable Backup-to-Disk" devices. I use these to take a copy of the most recent job, via the duplicate job feature.

My problem is: Backupexec selects which device in the pool to use on the basis of (from the help): "oldest recyclable media in all of the devices". It still does this even if the candidate disk isn't plugged in & hence the job pauses with a "loading media" status, requesting the correct disk be plugged on.

Given I am planning on only ever having one of the removable disks plugged in at any 1 time I would prefer to simply use whatever one is available. Any suggestions as to how I can implement this?
6 REPLIES 6

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Do you select "all devices" in the "device and media" tab in the backup job prooperties? You could target the jobs to the specific removable backup to disk folder which will be online.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Ross_McKerchar
Level 3
I haven't select "All devices" I have selected "removable" which is the name of the device pool containing all me removable devices.

The problem is, it has it's own ideas about what device in the pool it wants to use, wether it's available or not.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

You had mentioned that the job goes to loading media? How can you make out that it is trying to use the device that is not online?

Ensure that you have properly configured the removable backup to disk media as per the following technote:

Title: Best Practices for using removable media and the "Backup to Disk" feature in Backup Exec for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/239539

In case the above doesn't help, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Ross_McKerchar
Level 3
Thanks for the help.

I know that it's trying to use the unavailable device because when you "respond to alert" the alert box tells you where it's trying to write to. For instance "source --> removable1". where removable1 is one of the devices in the "removable" group.

I'm fairly sure it's trying to write to this disk because it contains the oldest recyclable media. However I'd rather it just wrote to whatever disk is online.

-ross

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
In the backup selections you get the choice to select the specific device for backup, please do so.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Ross_McKerchar
Level 3
That would be a case of "throwing out the baby with the bathwater"!

I specifically need a Device pool as I have multiple removable HDD's. I would like my job to run on whatever HDD is plugged in at the time. Currently it instead runs on a specific device of it's choosing, whether it' s plugged in or not.

thanks,

ross