cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring an Exchange Database

Matt34
Level 4
I am trying to restore an exchange .edb file.  I want to recover this like a normal file (to the SAN as an .EDB).  I do not want to have this restore to the current Exchange server.  When I try selecting the database and use File Redirect I get this error:

Job ended: Monday, November 09, 2009 at 3:46:48 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33932

What do I have to do to restore this single file to a file share location?

Thank you.
11 REPLIES 11

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You can restore a backup of information store only to a target server which has exchange installed. You cannot restore it to a regular file server with no exchange software present. When you restore exchange information store, it would try to attach to exchange services, and hence the error "unable to attach" because services were not found. So, there is no way to recover just files out of it, without restoring it to an actual exchange server. You may use exchange redirection to restore it to an alternate exchange server, but the target server needs to be an exchange server. If you would like to implement file level restore, you must have a file level backup.

So, the summary is that if you use exchange agent for backup, you use exchange for restore which in turn requires Exchange database to be present on the target server.
Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Matt,

Hemant is right, BUT...you can duplicate it to disk and have the *.EDB file. It's going to show you a number of images and folders.
In the actual IMG folder names you'll find your *.EDB, but will need an application to then get data out of it if you don't either directly restore from, or mount elsewhere.
If you don't know how to duplicate to disk, read up here...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Laters!

Matt34
Level 4
Ok, so now I am trying to restore that one .edb file (two backed up in that storage group) to a Recovery Storage Group on that (Production) server. 

I am getting this error:
Job ended: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 1:44:49 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000ff00 - Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted or because the Recovery Storage Group is not properly configured. Use the Exchange System Manager to check the configuration of the Recovery Storage Group and the mount status of the databases.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Now, the RSG is attached to another Storage Group called Test.  Does the RSG need to be part of the main (First Storage Group)?  Do I have to have the option "Mount Database after restore"?

CraigV
Hi Matt,

Give these a read:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/264815.htm <-- Prepare Exchange 2003 so BEWS can restore to an RSG

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/315637.htm <-- your error for Exchange 2007

I'm not sure which version you are using?

Laters!

Matt34
Level 4
Sorry Using Exchange 2007...will look over the articles and let you know.

Matt34
Level 4

Matt34
Level 4
As for the Exchange 2007 article you listed, I have already done that.  Now I guess this could be important, the Recovery Group is part of another Storage Group (called test).  That database is not mounted.  Do I need to creat the Recovery Storage Group under the main database?  Or do I just have to mount the Test Database to get this to work...

CraigV
Hi Matt,

The Exchange IS needs to be mounted in order to be backed up, so I am sure that the RSG needs to be mounted in order to be restored too.

Laters!

Matt34
Level 4
I have mounted that Database and have mounted the RSG to that Test database.  I am still getting that error.  So, does this mean I have to create a RSG for the original Database where this was located instead of the Test Database? 

Let me lay it out...sort of odd.

Old Configuration:
First Storage Group
  Mailbox Database.edb
  Mailbox.edb
Second Storage Group
  Public.edb

New Configuration
First Storage Group
  Mailbox Database.edb
Second Storage Group
  Public.edb
Test Storage Group
  Test.edb

The RSG is connected tot he Test Storage Group.

The item I am trying to restore is Mailbox.edb.  I am trying to restore it to the RSG of Test.  Is this causing the issues?  Do I need to create the RSG for the First Storage Group?  The Test.edb has been mounted.  The RSG has been mounted to Test.edb.

Hope this helps.

Thanks CraigV

Matt34
Level 4
I have gone ahead and created the RSG under First Storage Group but am still getting this issue.  I have only selected "Mailbox.edb" I have not selected the Logs or the other "Mailbox Database.edb", could this be the issue? 

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Why is RSG mounted, while you are restoring the database? The database has to be dismounted for the restore to happen. Please go through Exchange database recovery documentation, before proceeding with restores. Here is a document for your reference:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/How-Recovery-Storage-Groups-Work.html

Thanks