cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR Recovery SQL Server 2008 R2

RobRodrigues
Level 4

Hi all,

From time to time i do a test to my data backuped up on symantec BE 2012 by creating a VM on VirtualBox and i do SDR Restore using the SDR Iso built by the BE 2012.

One question i do have is :

Every time i do a full restore of my SQL Server that is installed on a Windows 2008 r2 server even if i say is a complete restore i have to do next when the restored machine boots up is to manually restore the SQL Server databases .

Isn't possible when using the SDR resote method to a full but i mean a full restore of a point in time situation and not having to do a sequential restores of SQL data, or for instance Excahnge and so on....

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

SQL is backed up via the Programming Interface (API) offered by Microsoft for SQL. This API is part what is provided by a running SQL service which is not available within the SDR boot environment. For this reason you cannot do a single pass DR restore with Backup Exec where a database technology (SQL, Exchange etc) is involved.

Please note the term Bare Metal that you may have seen used with regards to Backup Exec and SDR  actually refers to the ability to get back the operating system after a hardware failure. Active databases are not specifically linked to this term.

If you want a product that can recover SQL in a single pass then you need a product that does a block or image level backup instead of one that uses file/api level processing. In terms of the Symantec portfolio, Symantec System Recovery offers that functioanlity.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

SQL is backed up via the Programming Interface (API) offered by Microsoft for SQL. This API is part what is provided by a running SQL service which is not available within the SDR boot environment. For this reason you cannot do a single pass DR restore with Backup Exec where a database technology (SQL, Exchange etc) is involved.

Please note the term Bare Metal that you may have seen used with regards to Backup Exec and SDR  actually refers to the ability to get back the operating system after a hardware failure. Active databases are not specifically linked to this term.

If you want a product that can recover SQL in a single pass then you need a product that does a block or image level backup instead of one that uses file/api level processing. In terms of the Symantec portfolio, Symantec System Recovery offers that functioanlity.

RobRodrigues
Level 4

Ok, i realize that.

But really like all these technologies are all close to each other we get to apoint that we wanna do all by clicking in one button.

Thanks for the info. Regarding this i'm going to do the next tests during night time or even by the weekend.

Best regards to all.