cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP4 install requires SP2 WHEN SP3 is loaded. Why?

Alan_Foley
Level 4
Well I found that BE 9.1 4691 SP4 was released, my particular machine already has SP3 & HF54 installed. I downloaded SP4 and attempted to run it and recieve a message that SP2 needed to be loaded. If all of these SP's are cummulative why should this even matter, it should simply detect where it is at and load what is needed. This issue has come up with several of these patches why can it not be resolved once and for all.
41 REPLIES 41

Alan_Foley
Level 4
BTW,
I checked the file versions according to the document 278302.htm and except the two files replaced by HF 54, the files match by version number, the two exceptions are "bengine.exe" with ver 54 and "ndmpsrvr.dll" also at version 54. The current installation has been running fine with SP3 since was installed.

charles_meetze
Level 3
i indicated the same problem earlier with sp4. i am very frustrated with veritas. kinda regret leaving acrserv. i have signed up for email notices twice and still do not get alerts. just happened to be looking over the patches and saw sp4 and the alert. i cannot get sp4 to install i am running sp3 and latest hotfixes....

Craig_Brown
Not applicable
Add another one to the list with this problem. Message came up when installing SP4 saying SP2 needed to be installed. Thought it was unusual when I am at SP3 + hotfixes but went and installed SP2 again anyway. This did nothing as SP4 is still asking for SP2 to be installed.

I have also signed up for alerts and never received one either. I just check the site regularly to check for updates.

SKlassen
Level 3
Same issue here.

Phillip_Jaeger
Not applicable
Never did care for all the me toos. But, ME TOO!! SP3 and patches installed and SP4 asks for SP2. Tried disabling all BE services before install to no avail.

Hector_Bravo
Level 2
Please help! I want to install SP4 but I got the same message, that I need be4691rsp1 before. I have already installed SP2. The same problem occurs with SP3.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Due to the complexity of your issue, resolution will require the personal attention of a VERITAS representative.

Please contact us through your local support number.

You can see a list of support numbers at our support web site:

<>

Please note that you may be charged for this service.

For the latest details on pricing, please visit <>

Thanks

Alan_Foley
Level 4
Excuse me?
A publically available Service patch your company made available to upgrade/improve/resolve already identified problems, and you now tell me will require a PAID support phone call to resolve. I apparently am not the only one whom has encountered this problem, yet you now want me to pay to have it fixed. This type of issue has came up with many of these service packs, and has been resolvable, often by the efforts of the member of this forum. Veritas, it seems that some more effort in the testing/quality control department is needed, BEFORE you release these patches.

Jeremy_Geib
Level 2
I'm also having this problem on all three of our servers... We've got 9.1 SP3 installed w/ HF54 & HF52 according to the VERTIAS update page. I've tried reinstalling all the SPs and patches and even run a repair install from the "Installation and Serial Numbers" window...

Interestingly HF51 will not install either and says is requires SP2...

If anyone has a fix for this I'd appreciate it if you post it here...

Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Pardon my bluntness but

BULLSHIT

You have a broken service pack. Admit it, withdraw it and fix it.

As I recall SP3 did the same thing when it first came out.

Alan_Foley
Level 4
All,
Thankfully I have a lab machine and don't have to do this on a PRODUCTION unit. I went so far as removing my working installation of BE 9.1 SP3 with HF54, cleaning the registry, rebooting the machine, reloading BE 9.1 SP2 with HF50,51, & 52, then applied the upgrade to SP4 and it works. It certainly appears that the "checkfordependencies.MSI" process that is being used has a glitch, when you root around and find the temp folder that holds the upgrade files and read the patch.ini file it always ends up saying it needs the BE91SP2.exe. I agree with Ken that the SP4 process is broken and needs to be fixed, since removing the whole program and then reloading it on production systems is not acceptable.

The Veritas support folks should resolve this immediately, I guess I am going to work thru my local Symantec representative, to let them know of my displeasure with this whole process, and would suggest that everyone do the same.

charles_meetze
Level 3
I agree. We have a campus wide agreement with this company and i am sure it ain't cheap. we should reconsider doing business with symantec if this is the 'response' and lack of quality they provide.

Jeremy_Geib
Level 2
I called support and created an incident. The technician I spoke with was helpful, but didn't know about this problem. He put me on hold for some time and spoke with the advanced engineers and eventually came up with a solution. Apparently this is a known issue that other folks had dealt with before...

The solution involved backing up and then deleting alot of registry keys and values. He said the keys that need to be deleted vary from case to case depending on what hotfixes and SP's you had installed previously and what order they were installed in. Therefore although I don't think its a good solution, but you may have to call to get help.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Since it was acknowledged to be a Veritas problem, did they refund your money, or did it remain a paid incident?

And I still say that the SP itself is broken. It shouldn't make any difference what is or is not installed.Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Alan_Foley
Level 4
All,
Isn't the stuff that Knowledge base articles are written from. If it is an already identified problem, known within the Veritas engineering support group, shouldn't a troubleshooting document be created, usefull for the people answering the forum, and also useful for the software developer whom is writing the Service pack code so that he might create a succesful Service pack that will end this kind of problem. They might also provide it to the Quality assurance folks so they could apply that kind of logic to future releases.

Fredrik_Magnuss
Level 3
Seems we can modify the registry to get the result but Veritas/Symantec doesn't tell how to do it so i guess we have to do it ourselves...

Why can't Veritas/Symantec tell us how to solve the problem manually or fix the sp4 patch NOW.

Soon i will stop using Backupexec. It sucks!

Regards
Fredrik

Jeremy_Geib
Level 2
We were not charged as we had an extended contract still. I'll tell you how we did it for our servers... But if you break your multi-billion dollar backup system don't come to me for help. ;) I'd highly recommend trying to call Veritas rather then following my instructions...

We backed-up (e.g. exported) and then deleted all the subkeys (The value "AllPatches" was not modified) of the key below. All the subkeys names should look like guid strings: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\C896E102E88BEA14C864B3ABACCD6D7E\Patches

Then the key below was backed-up and the multi string value "Patches" under it was set to null.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\C896E102E88BEA14C864B3ABACCD6D7E\Patches

That did it for me on all three of my servers... From my limited understanding of the installer service this essentially convinced it no previous veritas patches were installed.

Again, if you don't know what the registry is, or what a key/value is, or how to backup the registry, or how to restore it once you've hosed it. CALL VERITAS!!!

Fredrik_Magnuss
Level 3
I did a similar thing cause i didnt have time waiting for an answer that never come from Veritas. I deleted all keys/values under

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\C896E102E88BEA14C864B3ABACCD6D7E\Patches

and then I could install the patch. Problem is that the Veritas update tool doesn't know (show) whats installed so Veritas better fix that little tool ASAP and maybe use a better tag not a registry key that I had to remove...
The bepatch.msp is of course broken, when a patch cant be installed when it installs all previus patches but still checks for patches installed... hmm messy

John_Hubbard
Not applicable
I will join the chorus of the "me toos" and say that I am having this problem as well.

Has anyone heard any official statement from Symantec/Veritas on this? It seems that the KB article about the service pack has not changed.

I would like to get this installed, but am not willing to potentially mangle my server's registry, especially without an advisory from Veritas. I would also like them to admit they made a mistake and FIX IT!