cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Services Started with Administrator Account

Steven_Hawks
Level 2
I am a Network Administrator and submitted the following an Oracle Support Forum: Our DBA staff often installs Oracle 9i and 10g on different Windows 2000/2003 Servers. They often state that they have to logon with the Administrator account in order to perform certain functions within Oracle (mainly installation). They say this is necessary because even if I provide them with an account that is in the administrator group.

Any suggestions on ways install and administrate Oracle 9i and 10g without the Administrator account?
Response: Yes create a group called ORA_DBA on the machine - then create a user with admin rights. Then they can do everything.

Veritas Question: Again, our DBA staff insist on the need to have Veritas services started with the Administrator account or some services will not start and backups will fail. The do have pre-jobs and post-jobs (oracle shutdown and startup scripts) configured with Veritas backup jobs. Running Veritas 9.1 on Windows 2003 Server (Standard).

Can the same account suggested for Oracle database account (create a group called ORA_DBA on the machine - then create a user with admin rights) be used for starting Veritas services?
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yes

But what is the difference between giving them the local admin acount and creating a new account that has local admin rights?

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Just about every third party I have dealt with insist that "Administrative permissions" aren't good enough and want THE Administrator account for some reason, so you're not alone.

During an episode of misconfiguration, we ran Backup Exec services as "Local System" for quite some time without incident- and we had pre/post scripts doing "net stop dhcp" for example, which continued to work.

You should have no issues creating a BackupExec account, running Backup Exec as that user, as long as that user is a domain / local Administrator.

The worst you could do is try it, have it not work, and then change it back to administrator.

Steven_Hawks
Level 2
Joshua,

Combining your response with the suggestion from Oracle I will create a group called ORA_DBA, make this group a member of the on the Domain / Local Administrator group and add test user account (dbauser) to ORA_DBA group. It also sounds like adding the test user account (dbauser) to the Domain / Local Administrator group will be the trick as well. I am just trying to confirm you agree with my strategy.

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hi Steve,

You can also refer to the following technote.

How to determine if an Oracle account configured for the Backup Exec Agent for Oracle has sufficient privileges to connect to and back up an Oracle Database

http://support.veritas.com/docs/234629

Hope this helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked '‘assumed answered’' and would be moved to '‘answered questions'’ pool.