cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Basic BE 2012 V-Ray Edition Configuration Questions

dale_m1
Level 4

Hello,

I have a couple of basic questions about Backup Exec 2012, specifically the V-Ray edition.  I’m accustomed to BESR 2010, but find some of the BE 2012 terminology confusing.  I am considering a scenario where I would be backing up a single Hyper-V 2012 server with six to eight VMs.  I would like to use an existing QNAP NAS as my backup storage device. 

I have the following questions:

1.)  What Symantec software gets installed where?  I.e., I assume a component is installed on the Hyper-V host (?)  Is there also an agent installed on each guest VM?

2.) The documentation makes reference to a Symantec Media Server License.  What is this?

3.) What are the limitations/options regarding backup storage devices?  The QNAP NAS works fine for BESR 2010 backups.  Can it be used for BE 2012 backups?

4.)  I’ve seen information that indicates this product is licensed per occupied socket on the target host server.  I’ve seen other information that suggests that licensing is also graded on the number of cores per socket.  Is the latter correct?

5.)  I assume there is an administrative console and that this console should/needs to be wholly independent of the target host server and that this workstation can run a Windows 7 class OS.  Is this correct?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1.)  What Symantec software gets installed where?  I.e., I assume a component is installed on the Hyper-V host (?)  Is there also an agent installed on each guest VM?

You will need to install the remote agent on the host as well as the guest VM's

2.) The documentation makes reference to a Symantec Media Server License.  What is this?

This is the base BE licence which you get when you purchase BE.

3.) What are the limitations/options regarding backup storage devices?  The QNAP NAS works fine for BESR 2010 backups.  Can it be used for BE 2012 backups?

You should be able to use it, if it is supported.  Check the HCL below for your particular model.

BE 2012 HCL

If your NAS is not listed in the HCL, check its functionality using this utility

B2Dtest.exe

4.)  I’ve seen information that indicates this product is licensed per occupied socket on the target host server.  I’ve seen other information that suggests that licensing is also graded on the number of cores per socket.  Is the latter correct?

It is per socket.  See the Licencing Guide and the blog below

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/whats-included-backup-exec-v-ray-edition

Do confirm this with the Symantec Licencing department.

5.)  I assume there is an administrative console and that this console should/needs to be wholly independent of the target host server and that this workstation can run a Windows 7 class OS.  Is this correct?

No.  The media server needs to be installed on a physical machine with a server class OS, meaning Server 2003 and up.  See the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You will need to install the remote agent on the host as well as the guest VM's

This is the base BE licence which you get when you purchase BE.

You should be able to use it, if it is supported.  Check the HCL below for your particular model.

BE 2012 HCL

If your NAS is not listed in the HCL, check its functionality using this utility

B2Dtest.exe

It is per socket.  See the Licencing Guide and the blog below

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/whats-included-backup-exec-v-ray-edition

Do confirm this with the Symantec Licencing department.

No.  The media server needs to be installed on a physical machine with a server class OS, meaning Server 2003 and up.  See the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

dale_m1
Level 4

PKH,

Thank You for your helpful respnse.  I'm starting to see that the architecture of the Symantec Backup Exec product is significantly different than the Symantec BESR product I have been accustomed to.  Absent in any of the documentation I looked at was a high level diagram of the critical components, the role they play, and the required communication means (iSCSI/CIFS/etc.) amongst them.  It appears our QNAPs are supported if using iSCSi between media server and NAS or, alternately, if used in conjunction with a BE 3600 R2 appliance.  I'll have to revisit the possibility that SSR 2013 might meet our needs with less complexity than BE 2012.

Thank you,