cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Dragging Feet on WServer 2012 Support

eds2012
Level 3

I logged a support call a month ago requesting support on installing the agent on a Windows Server 2012 machine.  I was told that, even though Windows Server 2012 had been released to enterprise customers, Symantec would not support it until the official release in early September and that it would be announced shortly after that.  Its been weeks since then and there still seems to be no support for Windows Server 2012.

I am supprised that Windows Server 2012 caught Symantec off-guard.  I do realize that Symantec was blindsided by the this unexpected product release, but they have had access to the RTM version for a couple months now and I would assume they had access to the betas for much longer.  Now I know Symantec blames Microsoft for all that is wrong in the world, but why does Symantec always like to keep its customers waiting for updates to support months old products?

Is there an official statement about Windows Server 2012 Backup Exec support?

17 REPLIES 17

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Symantec normaly does not release a schedule when products will be supported.

Just keep an eye on the SCL, if it's in it, it's supported.

JuergenB
   VIP   

Symantec should fix Backup Exec 2012 first and only IF it will work without any longterm issues...

They should work support SQL 2012 and Windows 2012 ...

I am going to evaluate comvault in a few days with a 2TB option and then "this product" will be dumped in the darkes place on earth ...

Forget about this product ..

eds2012
Level 3

It's a shame that Symantec won't do something that would help customers in their planning such as releasing a schedule of when products are expected to be supported. 

Customer Service was a strong point of Veritas, but was pretty much not a consideration at Symantec.  I tried to contact Customer Service at Symantec to resolve an issue where Symantec Support accidentally gave another organization our software upgrade serial number and that caused our backup servers to stop working for almost a week before I could tech support to fix the problem -- they were told that they were supposed to troubleshoot their internal procedures and figure out what the breakdown was that caused them to give our serial numbers away, but they were not allowed to assign us a new serial number to solve our problem -- again no concept of customer service.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Note there is a beta program to sign-up. This new version does include support for Windows Server 2012:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-beta-program-backup-exec-2012-r2

JuergenB
   VIP   

That´s typical marketing driven idea.

Our current product is still a mess and a pain in the ass

let´s make a hollow promise for a new shiny product ...

Forget about it , i will evalutae commvault

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...not the place for a rant. There are other forum topics you can do so on.

JuergenB
   VIP   

OK,

but James McKey blog has no comment enabled. 

Where would be the right place to rant?

eds2012
Level 3

Great a BETA that isn't even available yet. 

I wish there was a petition to reconstiture Veritas and have them buy back Backup Exec.  They actually thought customer support meant helping the customer.

JuergenB
   VIP   

I had a phone call on Friday from Symantec / technical sales.

BETA will start in Dezember 2012..

Support for Windows 2012, Windows 8, SQL 2012 will be coming in 2013!

crying

CraigV

Check the release statement for ARCserve Backup as well...CA won't be supporting Win2K12 until 2013 too...

http://www.arcserve.com/us/lpg/solutions/windows-2012-windows8-support.aspx

Symantec aren't the only vendor NOT supporting it immediately.

JuergenB
   VIP   

Hi Craig,

yes Symantec isn´t the only one. indecision

It´s a shame for all vendors not to support Windows 2012 or Windows 8.

But SQL 2012 has beent around quite a while, SP1 is now in a CTP ...

And still no support from Symantec.

I even had to support a commvault technican last week
and tell him howto backup a SQL 2012 HA Solution crying

CraigV

...I suspect that if 2 of the leaders in backup software in the Gartner Magic Quadrant are taking their time with offering support it might be an indication that they're making sure it works well...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for updating this thread with estimate support dates.

I understand you are disappointed, but keep in mind that this occurs with every new OS release. It takes time for software-development to implement this in the new version.

JuergenB
   VIP   

Yes, 2 of the leader (Gartner June 2012) are taking their time ...

But symantec is third

eds2012
Level 3

Another time estimate:

I had a call with Symantec Support a month ago and was told that Windows Server 2012 support would happen around the time Microsoft had the launch day.

I had built two Microsoft 2012 HyperV servers on some high end Dell servers based on that estimate.

JuergenB
   VIP   

I talked to Dell/Comvault

and there ist Support for Windows 2012 and Windows 8 since SP6A

SP6A was released 2 Month ago ....

CraigV

Are we really going to split hairs over where Symantec is dude? Really?

It's up to you whether or not to change. Vendors have their own method of qualifying an application or OS on their own terms. That you can't change, but you can check their SCLs to make sure that what you want to do is supported, or log calls etc. to find out when.

You need to decide whether or not to stick with Backup Exec, or rip everything out and replace with something else.