cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Device No Longer Shows

Michael_Ouren_2
Level 2
VXA-1 Autopak worked just fine with v9.0, upgraded to 10.0 and have been having problems. I updated to the most recent VXA device drivers released by Veritas (277477) and after a reboot it was working. Over weekend, started receiving "driver detected controller error" and it marked all media as bad. Have restarted both tape device and server several times, re-applied the tape drivers. The BIOS detects the tape device just fine, it's only when Windows Server 2000 starts that it suddenly no longer detects the tape device and I receive 3 errors in the Event Viewer about the driver/controller.

What more can I do? Help please.
7 REPLIES 7

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

-Ensure that the device is listed as tested in the HCL for Backup Exec 10.0. Here is the link for HCL:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274347

- Stop the Removable storage service on the server
- Chack the SCSI ID of the device. Ensure that it is not configured to use SCSI ID 0 or 1 as they are for the bootable devices. If it is, change the ID to 2 or 3.
- upgrade the device firmware incase an upgrade is available

If the problem persists, elaborate the errors you receive in the event logs along with their ID's. Does Windows detect the device after reboot of server?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Michael_Ouren_2
Level 2
I have double-checked the HCL and the device is listed as a supported device. I had already stopped the Removable Storage service on the server. The SCSI ID of the device is set to 5, but I don't think it's a SCSI ID problem as it's worked before now. I can't upgrade the device firmware without first being able to detect it in Windows Server 2000. I have the utility and the most up to date firmware ready to install as soon as Windows detects the device again.

The errors I receive in the Event Log read as follows "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu160m2": Event ID: 11. I assume this means the driver I installed from the latest release is conflicting with Windows some how. I know that ID 11 refers me back to Exabyte, but their suggestions haven't been very forth coming either with results.

I plan on doing an uninstall/reinstall of the Veritas software tonight to see if that will clear up the detection problem.

Any further suggestions?

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
It could be a corrupt entry in Windows plug n play device database that is affecting the SCSI adapter. Power down the server, remove the SCSI adapter, boot the server, then shut down, plug the SCSI adapter back in, let windows re-detect the card, and see if this corrects the problem.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if the above solution has helped resolve this issue.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Michael_Ouren
Not applicable
I contacted Exabyte one more time before reseating the Adaptec card and they assured me it was a simple driver error.

Update the device driver for WIndows Server 2000 for the Adaptec card and it detected the tape drive just fine.

Thanks for all of your help.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Micheal,

Thanks for the update. This post will be archived since the issue is resolved.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
Hi,

Since the issue seems to have been resolved, as per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.

Thanks!