cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test backup fails -error e000846b

Alan_Terrill
Level 3
I've just upgraded to vers 11 (with all the patches) but on the first test run I'm getting two errors:
1) Check status : Error: e000846b, The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
This message occurs for server1 -the main server where the software is installed -so why is it talking about remote agents?. There are three remote servers, but these all pass the test OK.
2)Media CheckOnline media check : Insufficient online or nearline media is available to start job.Overwrite media check: There is no media online or nearline that can be overwritten or the job has been marked append/terminate.
There is a tape in the drive with 150GB capacity -the backup is only 63GB and the backup is set to overwrite, so why does it think there isn't enough room?
3 REPLIES 3

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
1. When you upgrade you will get that error if you keep your jobs from the previous version. Try creating a new selection list and directing your job to that, if that fails you will need to delete all jobs, policies and selections lists and re-do them

2. Check the dates on your media protection, they screw up bigtime on the upgrade.

Alan_Terrill
Level 3
Thanks - the backup failed to run last night so I'm currently doing a manual daytime backup. If that gives errors I'll recreate the scheduled jobs, but why should I have to -surely the point of upgrading is that you don't have to recreate everything? On the second point, the overwrite protection is still set to none, so I'm no nearer knowing why it thinks there's not enough space on the media.
The annual backup exec upgrade is something I've come to dread -it's frustratingly difficult to get the licences (over two months this year), they now ignore all requests for CDs, won't answer the phone, don't reply to emails, and now, as usual, a working backup is turned into a non working backup by the simple process of a routine upgrade. You wouldn't think this was a product we had to pay good money for.Message was edited by:
Alan Terrill

Alan_Terrill
Level 3
I've spoken to tech support about this, and the answer is that the error message has nothing to do with the problem!
In upgrading to 11d, something has changed about the files being backed up- something in my backup list is no longer present, so the backup gives an error -however, instead of saying something like 'backup list invalid' or 'backup item missing' it instead tells me I haven't got a remote agent loaded. So, an unhelpful and meaningless message, but the advice to recreate all backup jobs after an upgrade seems like a good idea, even if it shouldn't be necessary.