cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The .DR file that is required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is not updated

ScotofMKE
Level 3
The messages below are posting in the backup log.  I'm not sure why the *.DR file isn't being updated automatically. 

15 REPLIES 15

Dev_2
Level 3
Employee
Hi,

Please follow this technote:

Regards

Dev

ScotofMKE
Level 3
I made the change and will see how it goes for tonight's backup. 

By the way, for version 12, the correct registry path is this:

HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\IDR

ScotofMKE
Level 3
The suggested fix did not change anything.  The message still occurs. 

Jerry_Bakels
Level 3
I'm having the same issue on a few servers.

Olorin
Level 2
Did anyone ever get a solution to this problem? I'm having the same problem in Backup Exec 12.5. I checked the registry entry above and it is already set as described.

Anup
Level 6
Certified

These exceptions have started coming from 12d as IDR option is given free.

You can simply igore those exceptions. Or perform a Full backup of whole system first

and then see what results you get.

Brandon_Fieldin
Level 2

I am running version 12 Rev 1364.  I am getting the same message while running a full backup with no files excluded.  I also verified registry settings as noted in earlier post. 

Ignoring them is easier said than done.  I understand that everything is ok.  Management does not.  Explaining why jobs fail is a pain.  :)

Please advise. 

BrAnDoN

VADon
Level 2

This is a bug, plain and simple.

Not only does it say it couldn't do something it isn't supposed to do anyway, the backups hang until the timeout occurs, causing every other backup to lag behind, unless you can guess how long the backup should take.

This is just annoying...

ksup
Level 2
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276343.htm

This link states that it could be you antivirus, and you should try exluding the Backup Exec AOFO Store  or perhaps .vsd files.

I am going to give it a try and I will report back.

-ksup

www.supleetech.com

nia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi,

This "information" appears because you have checked the option Intelligent Disaster Recovery on the Backup exec (licenses). When this option is enabled, BE thinks that you use the full backup in order to perform a disaster recovery. Since it does not find any .DR file created, you have this message.

Try either to disable this option from Licenses, or try to run the Intelligent Disaster recovery wizard to create the .DR file.

Regards,

Joshua2
Level 2
The Exception errors do appear because I enabled the IDR option, that is correct.  When I enabled it, I didn't realize that all of my backups would show up with Exceptions, which sucks.  This feature is not an additional license, it's what's included with the Backup Exec media server.  You can't remove it from the licenses applet (not that I can see, anyway).  It looks like you can remove the Backup Exec server in its entirety but not just the IDR feature.  I'd be happy to turn it off. Nia, if you know how to disable it as proposed, please post details. 

On the IDR wizard, I've run that, too.  I have a .DR file for every server on my job but each day I get the same error.  

I think most everyone is referring to version 12.0 or 12.5 and the link refferring to AOFO or A.V. is only for 11d or below, so that does not appear to be the cause. 

nia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
If you want to disable the IDR option, just go to Licenses, click "Next" after licenses and then uncheck the IDR option. Do this only if you plan NOT to use the IDR option of Backup Exec.
The strange thing is that you have already created the .DR files so it seems that you need a full backup of each server.
But, in the case you do not want the IDR (meaning you do not plan to recover completely a server) just disable this option.

Weiko
Level 2
Hello nia,

I don't have this License enabled. On the Symantec Backup Exec Options under Licensed options the IDR Option is not checked and I have this Information every day on every rotation job. This is not funny. What have I to do?

Thanks
Weiko

WRX_STI
Not applicable
I'm suffering the exact same thing, using BE12.

Everything was fine, then I went ahead and installed the AOFO and IDR components, and then the errors started to happen without me configuring anything else.  I then went and unistalled the IDR component and the errors still happen!

Backups themselves seem fine apart from these, 'The .DR file that is required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is not updated.', errors...

Weiko
Level 2
I think the problem is, when you have non faultless job the errorreport will give you the .DR not update information. When the job is faultless BE can change the .DR files. It's not really good because I don't use IDR.