cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The device is not ready

Simon_Scott
Level 4
This is the error i get in the event viewer when i try and run a backup

I have checked the drivers are up to date, i have checked the firmware is up to date and i have new tapes in my possession but still i get this error. Please please can someone help?????

Adamm Mover Error: Write Failure!
Error = ERROR_NOT_READY
Drive = "CERTANCE 1"
{9AB82352-57B7-4368-A631-A7D554609B18}
Media = "LTO000005"
{B60193C2-AF69-4353-B080-1CBD31BA192B}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

Adamm Mover Error: Write Not Ready Failure!
Error = ERROR_NOT_READY
Drive = "CERTANCE 1"
{9AB82352-57B7-4368-A631-A7D554609B18}
Media = "LTO000005"
{B60193C2-AF69-4353-B080-1CBD31BA192B}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

Storage device "CERTANCE 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
The device is not ready.

Cheers

Simon
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Is this a new installation you're trying to get working, or an old one which has started displaying this error?

If it's an old installation I'd be wondering about the possibility of a hardware problem / failure, possibly with the library mover hardware. Does the library have any internal dianostics software you can use to check its health? The ones I've used have a ethernet connection which you can then connect through to run dianostics etc via a web front end, but I don't know how common that kind of interface is on other libraries.

Are you at the same location as the library? If so can you see if the mover is working correctly? On some libraries you have a viewing window through which you can see the inside of the library, and possibly see if there is something physically wrong, but again it depends on the model of library.

Simon_Scott
Level 4
Hi Keith

This is an old installation, which was working fine but has now started saying this. I have preformed a device check (i believe) using xTalk management console which says everything is working fine. Not to sure what you mean by library, this is just a standalone tape device

Thanks

Simon

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Oh right. I think from the error messages mentioning 'Adamm Mover Error' I put two and two together and got five, thinking the mover reference must be referring to a tape library! :)

If the drive is still under warranty I'd give the relevant supplier a call and start running the support gauntlet, since unless someone else has a better idea (quite possible!) my immediate thought would be that it's a hardware error of some kind, but I could be wrong.