cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used capacity appear different to writed data used

Steven_Giang
Level 2

Hi All,

I have been googling around til I couldn't actually yet find an answer and hope someone here could help out.

Please see attached photo, as you can see the media label as Monday-Wednesday and they used same backup job, selection and same media set.

The Monday tape actually a new tape I put in this week, however I couldn't understand the "used capacity" shown 823GB+ while the actual data (All Veeam compressed data) are 525GB only.

I go through the global setting as recommended on the forum here,

eg:

Encryption - this feature alway disable in the first day

hardware compress - was enable before, and after research there is not much use if the data has already compressed (which is Veeam backup data)

Could someone shed some light or maybe where should I look for in the log to identifies the extra tape space were used?

Thanks you,

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you compress data which is already compressed, you are likely to end up with more data than what you have started with. Turning off hardware compression is a step in the right direction

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you compress data which is already compressed, you are likely to end up with more data than what you have started with. Turning off hardware compression is a step in the right direction

Steven_Giang
Level 2

Hi Pkh,

Do you know any supportive BE documentation regarding backup compressed data over compressed data?

I have another example (please see attached) the data are all Veeam compressed data, this job does not take up the capacity on tape. It used what it suppose to be.

Then this doesn't make sense to the job end up with more data than what I have started with above

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no Veritas document for this because it is a well known compression fact.  You can read my article below for an explanation.

https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/compression-short-explanation