cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas 10 - AOFO error 0xE000FE30

Andrew_Hunter
Level 3
Hi Everyone,

We have had an issue the last couple of days that no one seems to have an answer for. I'm hoping someone brighter than the Veritas online support person currently handling our case has an answer for us. We resorted to using Direct Assist by the way after repeatedly holding for more than an hour trying to telephone Veritas. Nothing new there, my record was 1h15mins before I gave up. When is Veritas going to fix there telephonic support?

We recently upgraded to Veritas 10 from 9.1. Followed everything to the letter with the upgrade.

We are now getting the following error message on our backups with regards to two servers:

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server A\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: VERITAS Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE30): A communications failure has occurred

This error is repeated for all the drives on Server A and the same happens for Server B . Our other servers also use AOFO and have no issues.

The only link to the error that I can find is http://support.veritas.com/docs/255814 which doesn't help much as Server A is an exchange 2003 server and doesn't have a M drive. Server B doesn't even have exchange installed on it.

Veritas have very helpfully suggested we turn AOFO off for our backups and see if that resolves the error?????? Uhh how is Backup Exec going to backup our open files then? Oh well tonight we will try and please veritas and do exactly what they ask. Expecting loads more error messages tomorrow.

If anyone out there has any information or assistance please post. :)
12 REPLIES 12

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. Do you have the V10.0 license for aofo did you also upgrade the remote agents and other database agents on the remote servers.
2. PLease ensure that the port 10000 is not being used by some other application.
3. You may run the command netstat -a -o -n which gives the PID running on the port . The process can be matched with this PID in the task manager.
4. Are you backing up the system state in this.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Andrew_Hunter
Level 3
Hi,

1. Licenses are correct and work fine.
2 + 3. The -o switch is only on windows 2003 and I assume XP. We are running windows 2000 so I cant use netstat to match the PID. Near as I can tell though weare not having any issues with other applications using port 10000.
4. Yes we are backing up the system state as well.

Has anyone else had the error message?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems you get the error 'Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE30): A communications failure has occurred' on two servers, one with Exchange and the other without Exchange. On the Exchange server, are you backing up the Exchange database and other files, system state etc.. in the same job with AOFO?

If the case is as mentioned above, try creating 2 backup jobs: 1. For backing up Exchange without using AOFO and 2. Backup file level data using AOFO
Test the backups. Are you also using the Advanced disk based option? If the issue persists, do write back to the forum with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Andrew_Hunter
Level 3
Error Error. Your logic does not compute.

Why do I get the feeling Veritas are clutching at straws? How many other users out here are getting this error message?

There seems to be quite a few people with the same error. I haven't noticed any response yet from Veritas that actually provides a solution.

In any case let me explain why I think your logic is flawed. You have completely ignored the fact that I have a second server that does not have exchange on it and I am getting the same error message on it. So why is splitting my exchange from my data going to solve the problem?

In any case in our testing we have done exactly as you asked and found the following as I have suspected all along.

1. Exchange backs up fine by itself using the exchange agent.
2. After making sure there were no open files on the server we did a backup of all the data without using AOFO and it went through succesfully.
3. Trying to backup the data with AOFO on gives us an 0xE000FE30 error again.

This problem is with AOFO and does not have anything to do Exchange if you ask me.

I'll be interested to here Verritas' reply to this.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Error "0xE000FE30",
Generally this error could occur if connection is lost between the Remote Agent and the Job Engine.
You can refer the following technote:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267770.htm

As you are getting this error while excuting the backup with AOFO,
are there any errors occured in the application event log?

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jason_Watkins
Level 4
I am having the same error, but I am not running Exchange or MSSQL. The backup fails on one machine, all other machines are fine.

Garry_Southway
Level 2
I am also getting this message using the AOFO. We are running 10.1d and have a Media Server installed on \\SERVERA with AOFO and Exchange Agent. We get this :
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE30): A communications failure has occurred.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

This happens daily... tried removing re-installing agents - no joy - I think this appears to be a 10.1d feature :)

Garry_Southway
Level 2
One other thing to add - we have two network interfaces - one for the "Live" network and a second interface which is disabled. The Servers are also running Windows 2000 and the netstat output shows that TCP 10000 is on 0.0.0.0

Jason_Watkins
Level 4
I am sitting in the same boat!

My backup server is Windows XP Pro. SP2, the clients are 2 XP SP2, and a single 2000 Pro. SP4+. It is the 2000 machine that is giving me the problem. I have reinstalled the agents as well, with the same results. TCP port for me is set to 0.0.0.0 (default route).

Any Veritas folks out there?

Jack_Taugher_2
Level 3
I got this answer before from Veritas .. the AOFO is a file-based backup -- you can't use the features of AOFO with the Exchange Agent or with SQL's agent. You can use AOFO on those two (Exchange/SQL), just not in the same job where the AOFO is being used.

Guy_Jacobs
Level 3
Hi Andrew

I have had a similar experience with the telephonic support and issues with DA. That aside I finally did get some good tech support from a certain Beena Fernandez.

This was the solution to my problem, hopefully yours too:
Add the BE Service account to both domain and local GPO: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254239.htm

Regards

Guy

Julie_Rowe
Not applicable
Hi All that are having this issue. I had been having no issues and were running on the 10.1 version. I have since upgrade to rev 5629, and I started to get the 0xE000FE30 A communication failure has occured.
I am running 6 servers within my backups, and all except my exchange server got this message.
I have been doing reading and locking and yesterday did some updates, and I must report with some sucessess. I think that this will fix issues even if it is not a exchange box.
What I changed was within the Advance Open File area under the backup settings page. There is a check box on this page to 'Process logical volumes for backup one at a time'. If you place a tick in this box.
Also if you have exchange also listed in the setting, go to this screen. On it you will aslo have some selection boxes. Place a tick in 'Perform Consistance Check before backup when using Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy service ...' and the 'Continue with backup if Consistance check fails'.

After doing the above, where I was getting the error listed against all three of my drives on my exchange server, I went to only getting it on the C drive.
I have since checked this and found that the free disc space on this drive was getting down, so I have done some cleanup and a defag, and have got back over a third of the drive space. I will see what happens in my job tonight, but at least I feel I have got some sucess.

I hope that this may help anyone else out there, and please let me know if I can help in any other way.

Regard
Backup exec user.