cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

access denied from backup exec

edt1
Level 3
I'm running this as administrator, backup exec, 11.0 rev 7170, service pack 5, windows server 2003, I can access all these files when I access them directly but when I try to do a restore onto this file system it always gives me that 8488 access is denied message.

Under the event viewer it says:

"Restore", The job failed with the folowing error: Access is denied, and right before it,

The operating system returned an unusual error while restoring security or attribute information for the following directory . . .

While this probleml does not prevent files from being restored to this directory, its security or auditing information may be incomplete.

I have security information unchecked in the restore box. 

What could cause this?
11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Give this tech article a read:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278609.htm

Should help you!

edt1
Level 3
thanks Craig but my error is a little bit different, I have the service pack 5 which is supposed to fix this and "incomplete" is spelled correctly (aka not exte mplete).  The problem is that the restore fails with this error instead of finishing and just giving me a warning.

CraigV
Hi there,

Is this a local server, or a remote server? If remote, did you push out the RAWS agent to that server in question once you updated your media server?

Laters!

edt1
Level 3
thanks for the reply craig, everything here is local, nothing is remote.

edt1
Level 3
should I try uninstalling and re-installing my software?

CraigV
Um, have you tried the following:

1. Restarting your services?
2. Running a DB repair through Beutility.exe?
3. Restarting your server?

If you have to reinstall your application, make a backup of your Data directory if you want to keep your DB and catalogs.

CraigV
Any news here edt1?

edt1
Level 3
Not yet, I was working on other things, I might have to pull things off by hand before I am able to fix this.

edt1
Level 3
rebuilt indices, repaired the database, restarted the server, and it still doesn't work.  I have a bunch of files with random dates like year 2043 and such, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

edt1
Level 3
Every error is this one:

"Error Writing Alternate Data Stream"

So I guess this a problem with every macintosh file on my backup set.

edt1
Level 3
Well, I gave up on this one.  The worst part about this error is that it bombed the restore.  I would not have minded if it had just spit out an error and continued but because it bombed the restore, I ended up having to do the restore by hand bypassing symantec entirely.

At this point, I guess I can do a full uninstall and re-install, but I still have no idea what went wrong and what to do about this if it happens again.