cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

happens whenever a backup written to tape me up from scratch and then use a new tape,

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

happens whenever a backup written to tape me up from scratch and then use a new tape,
I need to overwrite in those tapes that have expired images

What settings should I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Backup Exec button --> Configuration and settings --> Backup Exec settings --> Storage --> Overwrite recyclable media in target media set before overwriting SCRATCH media.

Ensure that Overwrite Protection level is set to Partial minimum before changin the above setting. If it is set to None, overwrite protected media also will be overwritten.

Thanks....

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Change the setting in Backup Exec to use Recyclable before Scratch, should be somewhere in the settings available from the yellow button (top left in BE console)

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Backup Exec button --> Configuration and settings --> Backup Exec settings --> Storage --> Overwrite recyclable media in target media set before overwriting SCRATCH media.

Ensure that Overwrite Protection level is set to Partial minimum before changin the above setting. If it is set to None, overwrite protected media also will be overwritten.

Thanks....

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

is selected with

Overwrite to recyclabe media contained in the targeret media set before overwriting scratch media,

further is selected

Partial-protect only allocated media

Prompt Before Overwriting Imported media

but
Why is looking for tapes from scratch set?

Should I look for in the same tape with expired images?

attached image

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you did not have any overwritable tapes in the media set (at the time the backup started, not at the time you looked the next day) then it will use from the scratch set. Is the overwrite protection period on your media set too long and not taking into account how long the backup takes to run.

For example to use the same tape every Friday, DO NOT SET 1 WEEK Overwrite Protection, set it to 6 days instead.