cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recovering the calendar (in public folder)

kakagol
Level 4

How can I recover a calendar or part of it using Backup Exec ? The calendar is in the public folder database.

If I click on recovery, browse to the data, and browse to the specified mailstore, I can see the public folder listed there but I cannot view or click to recover it?

It is grayed out and I can only click the mailstore above, which unfortunately includes this public folder and another database of emails.

I dont want to do that and second it will take ages to recover both things....

Please help

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

I presume what you are saying from your above comment is you go to particular date in restore tab & there you only see Information store which you can select but then you are not able to expand the Public folder Datbase or Mailbox database.

You can do few things here first

1 Please ensure you have taken GRT backup of exchange first.

2 If yes then 2 things , if GRT backup of exchange is taken on tape then I have seen issue with GRT of public folder on tape is not displayed for which you have to duplicate the job to disk first & then from disk it will show the GRT view which you can restore, but then you should be able to see mailbox database GRT view in restore for tape backup

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO24081

3 If backup is on disk using GRT way then you should be able to see GRT for both mailbox & public folder

4 So I guess either you have not take GRT backup , if that is the case then you only have option to restore the whole public folder database, in that case

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

I presume what you are saying from your above comment is you go to particular date in restore tab & there you only see Information store which you can select but then you are not able to expand the Public folder Datbase or Mailbox database.

You can do few things here first

1 Please ensure you have taken GRT backup of exchange first.

2 If yes then 2 things , if GRT backup of exchange is taken on tape then I have seen issue with GRT of public folder on tape is not displayed for which you have to duplicate the job to disk first & then from disk it will show the GRT view which you can restore, but then you should be able to see mailbox database GRT view in restore for tape backup

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO24081

3 If backup is on disk using GRT way then you should be able to see GRT for both mailbox & public folder

4 So I guess either you have not take GRT backup , if that is the case then you only have option to restore the whole public folder database, in that case

Thanks

kakagol
Level 4

Thanks for that. I am using GRT on tape.

I have managed to duplicate the entire database on a different disk (overnight) and this morning managed to view the entire list of emails and events in calendars. 

Then I have start a test email-restore, which had been succesfull.

Then I wanted to connected again to the same backup-to-disk-folder to restore the event but unfortunately I cannot do it. SBE can detect the image but cannot list its content.

It seems again the same problem. Do I need to run a duplicate from tape again?

Thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi If after doing successfull restore, if from physical location you have deleted the IMG then yes please duplicate it again. If the IMG is still present at physical location, please perform inventory on backup to disk and then catalog it and then right click on IMG to do restore. Hope this helps Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you ran the restore from tape, then yes, it would delete the temporary Information Store files.

However, duplicating to disk manually should leave the files there...it's exactly the same process as if you were restoring data.

Run the duplicate to disk again and try the restore. I wrote an article on this a while back and used this process successfully. Some restores took days due to various errors getting the mails back into Exchange, but the files on disk were never automatically deleted.

kakagol
Level 4

I have managed to get the data restore.

Thanks to both, just a couple of questions really, just for my knowloedge:

...if you ran the restore from tape, then yes, it would delete the temporary Information Store files.what and where are the temporary Information Store files?

please perform inventory on backup to disk and then catalog it and then right click on IMG to do restore.
What exactly is catalog a media? Why is important?

Thanks again for your answers!!!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

1. When doing a GRT restore from tape, the data is staged to a disk location (C:\Temp by default...this can be changed though). Once the data is staged to disk, the restore begins. When the restore completes, the data on temporary data on disk is deleted. No need for you to do anything around this.

2. Your catalog contains information on what data is stored on the tape/disk. If you don't have this catalog, you need to recatalog your media to get this put back into the BEDB. Without this, you can't restore.

Thanks!

kakagol
Level 4

1. Clear and understood

2. I did not run the catalog on the tape and yet I managed to restore the data. I dont ever remembered running a catalog on a tape...