cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore option

SymQNA
Level 5

What's the difference with the restore option? The first option can combine the full and differential backup, then we don't have to restore twice and merge the folder restored from full and diff like BE2010 do? Thanks

File and folder backups to a point-in-time

File and folder backups from a backup set

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim from guide:

File and folder backups to a point-in-time

When you restore file system data to a point-in-time, you select a backup set to restore. The backup set represents the file system data at the specific point-in-time at which it was backed up. Backup Exec
automatically restores any related backup sets that are required to restore the file system data to its state at the point-in-time.

File and folder backups from a backup set

When you restore file system data from a backup set, you select a backup set to restore. Backup Exec restores the file system data exactly as it exists in the backup set that you select. No dependent backup sets are selected for the restore.

So yes, you are right the first option will combine any related backup sets for the restore and you''ll have to just ensure the related backup sets are present on the storage and accessible by BE.

SymQNA
Level 5

But actually not.

After I upgraded the BE to 2014, I catalog and inventory the old .bkf file created in BE2010.

Then in "retore" wizard, can see the full backup on Friday and the diff backup on next Monday.

In Folder d:\dept\Office, there is only one file abc.xlsx in Monday's backup. Other sub folders are blank.

In Snapshot Full, I can see there are many other db or xlsx files under d:\dept\Office, and the sub folder is not blank.

I  select File and folder backups to a point-in-time, and select to restore files from d:\dept\Office in backup set of Monday's Snapshot Differential, I cannot see any files in sub folders, only the file abc.xlsx can be retored.

Anything wrong?

VJware
Level 6

EDITED** (Let me reconfirm this)

Afaik, the point in time restore is applicable only for Full & Incremental backups, not differential backups as differential backups do not use catalogs to determine what files were backed up. The point in time restore view of an incremental is a synthetic catalog view.

And in your case as you selected only the differential backup set, only files from this set were restored.

SymQNA
Level 5

If I select both full and differential set, will it auto combine /merge the files in same folder path ?

SymQNA
Level 5

And if like what you said,do I still need to reuse the old catalog files in BE2010 after upgrading to BE2014? or I can just need to re-inventory the old .bkf files?

VJware
Level 6

Just double-checked on my test system & my earlier comment is incorrect since File & Folder point in time restore option applies to both incr and diff backup sets as well.

Ran a full + differential backup. Selected File & Folder to a point in time and selected the differential backup for restore. It restored from the related full backup as well.

In your case, only one file was restored since only that file seemed to exist in the file system at that point of time. If other files were existent, then they would have been restored from the related backup sets as well.

Have a look @ the screenshot from this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH195950

If other files were present at that point in time but backed up earlier, they are differentiated with a different icon and are shown in the restore selections.