Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFS without VCS

Smruti_Mandal
Level 2
Certified

Hi,

We are trying to setup an application cluster. The HA part of the application is taken care by the application itself. So, we do not need VCS. However, we need a shared storage. So, can you please tell me how to configure and run Cluster File System without VCS.

Software Details:

Solaris 10 x64

Veritas Volume Manager 5.0 MP3

Let me know if you need any further details.

Thanks,

SM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello Smruti,

I just checked the install guide for SFCFS, VRTSvcs along with GAB & LLT seems to be the mandatory packages to install SFCFS.

So what I understand is, you will need to install VCS to use SFCFS...  you can drop the full configuration of VCS or else you can leave the cluster frozen later (to avoid any actions by VCS) in order to use the HA capability of application.

Refer to SFCFS install guide here:

http://sfdoccentral.symantec.com/Storage_Foundation_HA_50MP3.html#Page_3

Gaurav

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello Smruti,

I just checked the install guide for SFCFS, VRTSvcs along with GAB & LLT seems to be the mandatory packages to install SFCFS.

So what I understand is, you will need to install VCS to use SFCFS...  you can drop the full configuration of VCS or else you can leave the cluster frozen later (to avoid any actions by VCS) in order to use the HA capability of application.

Refer to SFCFS install guide here:

http://sfdoccentral.symantec.com/Storage_Foundation_HA_50MP3.html#Page_3

Gaurav

avsrini
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Smruti,

SFCFS needs one cluster manager, either VCS or SUN cluster to manage the SFCFS itself.

For example to manage shared diskgroup and cluster filesystem mounts. Thus you need VCS to

be installed and configured. But application itself you don't need to be configured under VCS.

Pls note, application should be started after CVM is started and cluster filesystem is mounted.

Also application should be stopped before CFS and CVM is offlined. Thus resource dependency

is maintained.

Regards

Srini

Smruti_Mandal
Level 2
Certified

Thanks guys. I will check it in the non-prod machines and will let you know.

Regards,

Smruti