cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loadbalacing

faisalpar
Level 3

HI,

I have 2 VMs that runs Server 2008 R2 Standard.

I have mapped a LUN as RDM to one of the server.

Is there anyway i can loadbalance or share the same drive between the servers at the same time using

VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION HA,/DR 5.1 WIN FOR OS TIER ENTERPRISE EDITION STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

thanks

Faisal SP

4 REPLIES 4

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The Symantec product that allows you to access storage from 2 servers at the same time is SFCFS and SFCFS is only available for UNIX and Linux and is not available for Windows, irrespective if you are using VMWare or physical servers.

Mike

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Faisal,

What are you trying to do?  Do you really want to access the same volume from both servers in a shared volume arrangement or are you just trying to setup the disks so that both servers see them for a failover cluster (SFW-HA) setup?

Thank you,

Wally

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Fasal,

To expand on Mike's comments,  SFW (Storage Foundation for Windows) does not contain a Veritas File System component and therefore we use NTFS.  Natively NTFS is not a cluster file system and as such only one host at a time can have Read/Write Access to a particular volume/partition.

We have however recently introduced certain technologies (Multi-Node Disk Group Access) that we eventually result in the ability for a disk group to be simultaneously imported on more than 1 host as R/W.  The net of this feature is that individual volumes will therefore also be accessible by multiple hosts (but not concurrently) as it will still have the NTFS limitation.

CSV in Windows 2008 and Windows 2012 do offer the appearance of Cluster File System, but not in the same sense as SFCFS.  CSV's support only basic disks, whereas SFW volumes are Dynamic.

Joe D

fmthard
Level 3

If you want active/active system access to a single file system, you're probably looking for a CFS solution like PolyServe (now HP, now apparently EOL'd) or DxConsole Melio FS ...