Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS on Windows 2008R2 : Blue Screen

Loic_Bouquet
Level 3
Accredited

Hello,

I'm currently create a VCS cluster (without SFW for the disk management) and i have some blue screens when i mount disk ressources in the cluster. In VCS witch the LDM from windows, you need to use DiskRes and Mount ressources in the cluster. 

When i online DiskRes, all is ok (it works), but when i try to online the Mount ressource, i have a blue screen stop 0xBADFFFFF

I've found a solution on this site : http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/Windows_Server_2008/Q_27781502.... The MPIO must be configured on Failover policy, not on RoundRobin policy. In the Disk administrator, click on the disk (not the partition) and choose properties. Go to the MPIO tab, and change the Policy to Failover Only.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Loic,

The DiskRes resource only support SCSI-2 reservations.  The RoundRobin policy of MPIO only works in a cluster with SCSI-3 support. Therefore, RoundRobin is not compatible with the SCSI-2 requirements of the DiskRes resource.  The Failover MPIO policy is a compatible SCSI-2 MPIO setting.

The online of the Mount resource triggers I/O to the disk(s).  The I/O is the trigger that causes the BSOD.

I hope this helps explain why this is happening and why your fix works.

Thank you,

Wally

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Loic,

The DiskRes resource only support SCSI-2 reservations.  The RoundRobin policy of MPIO only works in a cluster with SCSI-3 support. Therefore, RoundRobin is not compatible with the SCSI-2 requirements of the DiskRes resource.  The Failover MPIO policy is a compatible SCSI-2 MPIO setting.

The online of the Mount resource triggers I/O to the disk(s).  The I/O is the trigger that causes the BSOD.

I hope this helps explain why this is happening and why your fix works.

Thank you,

Wally