Did you mean: 

cluster directory

Andy2345
Level 6

-bash-3.2$ cd /opt/VRTS/bin
  cd /opt/VRTSvcs/bin
  /opt/VRTSnbu/scripts 

1.   why these cluster scripts are in 3 directories
  2. What is the default directory which is created under which i have all the cluster commands loke hagrp,hares etc (both in windows and unix)
  3. why we have 3 directories.What are the default ones?
-bash-3.2$ ls |grep -i hares
hares
-bash-3.2$ ls |grep -i hagrp
hagrp
-bash-3.2$ cd /opt/VRTSvcs/bin
-bash-3.2$ ls |grep -i hagrp
hagrp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I've never used NBU, but the hares, hagrp, etc commands in /opt/VRTSnbu/scripts are almost certainly symbolicly linked to the actual binaries in /opt/VRTSvcs/bin as it would be very bad practice in deed to actually copy the binaries into  /opt/VRTSnbu/scripts.  

As with SF and VCS where common commands are sym linked into /opt/VRTS/bin, I would guess NBU is doing the same thing and so common commmands are sym linked into  /opt/VRTSnbu/scripts.

Mike

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For UNIX the VCS commands are in /opt/VRTSvcs/bin.  For Vxvm and vxfs the commands are in different directories and therefore the most common commands for VCS, Vxvm and vxfs are symboliced linked to /opt/VRTS/bin so you don't need lots of directories in $PATH.

I don't know much about NBU, but I would guess files in   /opt/VRTSnbu/scripts are sym linked to commands in /opt/VRTSvcs/bin, so NBU has all the commands it needs in its $PATH

I don't think windows has symbolic links to commands so they are all in (from memory) program files\cluster server\bin

Mike

Andy2345
Level 6

What is for unix default path?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Not sure what you mean.  The default PATH is not changed by VCS installation, so if you think all users need VCS commands in their path you can add /opt/VRTS/bin to default path, but many people only change roots path as often root is the only user running VCS commands.

Mike

Andy2345
Level 6

cd /opt/VRTSvcs/bin
  /opt/VRTSnbu/scripts 

We have 3 directories 
.Why?

Andy2345
Level 6

I don't know much about NBU, but I would guess files in   /opt/VRTSnbu/scripts are sym linked to commands in /opt/VRTSvcs/bin, so NBU has all the commands it needs in its $PATH

Please ellaborate above statement

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee

The cluster server installs all the binaries like hagrp, hares etc. in the main install dir i.e. "/opt/VRTSvcs/bin" . Similarly all the vxvm, vxfs commands are installed in their respective main install directories i.e. e.g. /opt/VRTSvxvm/bin , /optVRTSvxfs/bin etc. To consolidate all the Veritas suite of product commands in one single path they are all symlinked to "/opt/VRTS/bin". To answer your question, the default directory would be the directory where the actual binary resides.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I've never used NBU, but the hares, hagrp, etc commands in /opt/VRTSnbu/scripts are almost certainly symbolicly linked to the actual binaries in /opt/VRTSvcs/bin as it would be very bad practice in deed to actually copy the binaries into  /opt/VRTSnbu/scripts.  

As with SF and VCS where common commands are sym linked into /opt/VRTS/bin, I would guess NBU is doing the same thing and so common commmands are sym linked into  /opt/VRTSnbu/scripts.

Mike