cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Tasks crashing or not completing

ric_p
Level 2

Hi all,

I have noticed that a lot of EV enabled mailboxes haven't been archived recently and the archive task logs aren't running for very long. Noticed this by looking the logs for each archive task and find the last timed entry is about an hour after it starts.

We are runing EV 9.0.4.1097 on one 2003 SP2 server, against Exch 2010 SP2 with two DAGS and four MBX servers. There is an archive task for each MBX server and they run for three hours one after each other. Outlook clients are 2003/2007. EV was upgraded from vers 8 around November last year, and we have just migrated from Exch 2003 to 2010 over Christmas.

There are a lot of 2270 and 6578 errors/warnings in the logs at the time each archive task seems to crash. Most of the 2270 events are to do with 'Updating moved items in a folder...' and gives error 0x80004005 and a blank Description. The error is generated for multiple mail boxes on each mailbox server.

We need to keep the new location of moved items within each archive, so don't really want to turn that feature off to see if it resolves the archiving task issue.

Has anyone any ideas of what I can try to resolve the issue?

Many thanks,

Ric

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Ric,

0x80004005 usually indicates "Mailbox over quota". To be able to perform actions on a mailbox, EV needs to be able to write in the mailbox. If that is full, it cannot process the mailbox.

You might want to try one of the failing mailboxes, by checking the size, and then adjust the quota. Then perform a 'run now' on that one mailbox, and see if that fixes the issue.

I assume you have executed the throttling policy script for the VSA on Exchange 2010?

Regards. Gertjan

ric_p
Level 2

Throttling policy has been applied and for one reason or another there are no mailbox quotas yet.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i believe 0x80004005 indicates access denied. first thing you'll want to do is check that the EV service account has the apropriate permissions on the mailboxes you're trying to archive/update/access/etc.

what version of outlook are you running on the EV servers?

you said all these changes happened 4 months ago. have you been having these issues ever since or are they something new?

lastly, it's a completely valid troubleshooting step to turn of the update moved items option when troubleshooting. you can always turn it back on.