cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change location of vault cache for users who already have one?

Nate_D1
Level 6

I am looking at changing the location of the virtual vault cache for all users from the default to a home directory on a network location. I was reading through the options on this, and ran into what seems like a show-stopper:

Root folder search path-

The location in which to place Vault Caches. This value is used when a user enables Vault Cache. Changing this value has no effect on existing Vault Caches.

Is there some method I can use to either:

• force users to create a new VVC in the new location
  • use a script to copy the content of their current local VVC to their new location and kickstart them from there?
  • something more elegant?

Thank you

Nate

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Then I'd go with this from the Compatibility Guide.

Citrix

Symantec provides client support for Citrix-based thin client provisioning. This support is limited to the installation and use of the Enterprise Vault client for Outlook. Support for Vault Cache and Virtual Vault is included if the following criteria are satisfied:

•   VaultCacheandVirtualVaultmustbeconfiguredinheader-onlymode(no content caching)

•   ThenetworkconnectingtheCitrixserverandfileserverhostingtheVault Cache and Virtual Vault files must offer high speed and low latency

•   Outlook2010orlaterisrequired

•   ServersmustbeWindows2008R2orlater

•   EnterpriseVaultOutlookAdd-In9.0.5orlaterservicepack,or10.0.4orlater service pack, or 11.0 is required

Symantec does not currently support any aspect of its Enterprise Vault server infrastructure provisioned via Citrix. 

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

i think the reason for the registry overriding the policy is the fact that if you have users who have items To Archive and then you go ahead and change the location, then you effectively have dataloss

But the Contentless cache that rob suggested is your best bet, regardless of what anyone says, a lot of companies use this for Citrix or other type of VM environments and you simply have no choice but to have it on a SAN or NAS

But dealing with end users vault caches is a pain because of the unique ID in the registry that is different for everyone , so its not easily scriptable

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I wouldn't personally go this route:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019

However, if you're intent on going this way you'd need to:

a/ Get all users to exit Outlook

b/ Copy the files

c/ Update the registry to point to the new location

d/ Start Outlook

Bit cumbersome IMHO...

Nate_D1
Level 6

Hey Rob,

I appreciate the response, I know its not supported by MS to use PSTs over WAN, but unless its not supported by symantec as a configuration for vault I may wind up doing it.

The problem is our users want virtual vault access while connecting through citrix, and the disk cost can become very high. We have less than 1000 total users, less than 100 active remote users at one time. Everything is connected via our own dark fiber network. I am hopeful that our bandwidth, and low number of users would make this tolerable.

Does the "root folder search path" option in the advanced tab just go in and set the registry key? Or is there a seperate key you can set?

Thank you!

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43084

Regards. Gertjan

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Then I'd go with this from the Compatibility Guide.

Citrix

Symantec provides client support for Citrix-based thin client provisioning. This support is limited to the installation and use of the Enterprise Vault client for Outlook. Support for Vault Cache and Virtual Vault is included if the following criteria are satisfied:

•   VaultCacheandVirtualVaultmustbeconfiguredinheader-onlymode(no content caching)

•   ThenetworkconnectingtheCitrixserverandfileserverhostingtheVault Cache and Virtual Vault files must offer high speed and low latency

•   Outlook2010orlaterisrequired

•   ServersmustbeWindows2008R2orlater

•   EnterpriseVaultOutlookAdd-In9.0.5orlaterservicepack,or10.0.4orlater service pack, or 11.0 is required

Symantec does not currently support any aspect of its Enterprise Vault server infrastructure provisioned via Citrix. 

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I knew there was a KB article on moving Vault Cache to a new pc.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87073

Be advised ( as to what Rob states), it is NOT supported by both MS and Sym to have these kind of files on a networkshare.

Regards. Gertjan

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

i think the reason for the registry overriding the policy is the fact that if you have users who have items To Archive and then you go ahead and change the location, then you effectively have dataloss

But the Contentless cache that rob suggested is your best bet, regardless of what anyone says, a lot of companies use this for Citrix or other type of VM environments and you simply have no choice but to have it on a SAN or NAS

But dealing with end users vault caches is a pain because of the unique ID in the registry that is different for everyone , so its not easily scriptable

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146