cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Partitions

kazakh_cowboy
Level 4
I need clarfication on a point and you helpful people give out great advice in the process.

I am currently upgrading to EV 8.  I have done all the testing and thanks to previous posts, everything has tested postive.
I am now going to migrate data between servers and my question is; can I copy all my closed partitions over to my new shared location without denying access to users archives. I will then create down time and copy the remaining "open" partition when the services are down
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kazakh_cowboy
Level 4
Thanks Wayne. I was hoping that was the case, and thank you for the extra point on updating SQL befroe moving servers, that makes perfect sense and one less thing to worry about during the switch

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
To upgrade I highly recommend you do an in place upgrade of EV first as there are database schema changes.

Once you have completed the upgrade then move your EV environment to new hardware using the Data Only DR method

Moving archives from one version to the next without upgrading will cause you so much pain and time due to the changes between the versions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
kazakh,

Scanner01 suggestion is the best solution. Upgrade first then move :) You will then have a squeaky clean new server on top of that.

kazakh_cowboy
Level 4
Thanks gents for the comments. Let me elaborate a bit further.

I am moving to new hardware along with upgrading to V8. Because the current configuration is rather flaky, I dont want to risk damaging it. Therefore I intend to move to new hardware first with the same server name and EV version, this then allows me to fall back to the original server should something go wrong. Once I have tested the new server, I then intend to upgrade following the recommended path. In order to do that I need to move the vault store data. Because of the amount of data >2TB, I would like to copy the closed partitions to a shared location prior to the actual switch of servers, then on the day of the switch, be left with only the open partition to copy to the shared location.
Is what I propose viable, I have tested my plan through a virtual environment and all seems well. The nagging question is; will users still be able to access their archives when I am copying the closed partitions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
As long as you are copying and not moving you will be fine, they will not access the "new" closed partition until you up date SQL and restart the storage.  However if that's the way you wanna go its fine but I would do this then:

1) Copy closed Vault Stores Partitions to share
2) Update SQL to point to share instead of drive
3) Rename your "old" closed partitions, this just for testing
4) Restart storage, test all is well and you can access old data.
5) Delete "old" closed partition now that you verified it.
6) Move servers using DR procedures
7) Upgrade to v8

One thing to bare in mind is that once you have upgraded to v8, you cannot just power on the old server anymore. You will need to restore your SQL databases first.

kazakh_cowboy
Level 4
Thanks Wayne. I was hoping that was the case, and thank you for the extra point on updating SQL befroe moving servers, that makes perfect sense and one less thing to worry about during the switch