cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery Accelerator Databases

JackedUp
Level 4
Hello,

I installed EV on w2k8sp1 x64 and running the Discovery Accelerator server on the same box. All the databases are on a separate SQL 2005 x64 server. I didn't know runnig EV on x64 could be so much fun!

My probelm is backing up the databases. All the backup jobs(bak and trn) on the SQL 05 instance that i created run like fine for all the databases dealing with Vault. All the databases created with the discovery accelerator fail every backup job (bak and trn) or any other type maintenance job. When i ran index reorg on those database it failed on table "pk_DiscoveredItems..." . I also noticed in the sql log that discovery database gets the following error:

Date 5/14/2009 11:04:13 AM
Log SQL Server (Current - 5/15/2009 8:05:00 AM)

Source spid89

Service Broker needs to access the master key in the database 'Discovery Instance Database name'. Error code:25. The master key has to exist and the service master key encryption is required.

Any ideas? Did i miss a permission or create the database incorrectly when promted in the install of the discovery user instance. I have not set up a Custodian Instance yet, but have the database created. But the jobs fail on all the databases dealing with the Discovery Accelerator install. I am able to use the Discovery Accelerator fine, using a the discovery customer, creating cases and searching the vault store with no issues.

PS- Running Enterprise Vault 8.0.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
This technote should solve your issue even if you have not moved the databases:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318791.htm

SQL Service Broker warning when restoring a customer database to a different server

SQL Server may record the following warning message in the event log if you restore a Discovery Accelerator customer database to a different server than that on which it originally resided:

Service Broker needs to access the master key in the database

'database_name'. Error code:25. The master key

has to exist and the service master key encryption is required.

You can suppress this warning message by using the following SQL Server command to create a master key for the database:

CREATE MASTER KEY ENCRYPTION BY PASSWORD = 'password'

For more information, see the following article in SQL Server 2005 Books Online:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337551(SQL.90).aspx

Synchronization errors after you rename the SQL Server computer

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling
This technote should solve your issue even if you have not moved the databases:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318791.htm

SQL Service Broker warning when restoring a customer database to a different server

SQL Server may record the following warning message in the event log if you restore a Discovery Accelerator customer database to a different server than that on which it originally resided:

Service Broker needs to access the master key in the database

'database_name'. Error code:25. The master key

has to exist and the service master key encryption is required.

You can suppress this warning message by using the following SQL Server command to create a master key for the database:

CREATE MASTER KEY ENCRYPTION BY PASSWORD = 'password'

For more information, see the following article in SQL Server 2005 Books Online:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337551(SQL.90).aspx

Synchronization errors after you rename the SQL Server computer

JackedUp
Level 4
Thanks, for the master key error.

However I can still not run any backups on these databases?

Any ideas?

TonySterling
What errors or reasons do you see for the backups failing?

How are you doing your backups, via SQL or some other Backup Program?

JackedUp
Level 4
The jobs are done in SQL thorugh management studio.

The only real error I saw had to do with doing a weekly reorg of the DB Indexes. That it failed at table pk_discovereditems, and that it could have do with user access. I was running the job under SA.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 Run all jobs under the Vault service account this should fix your issues