Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade EV9.0.2 back to EV8

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

We have encountered collation errors during the upgrade of Enterprise Vault (Version 8 to version 9.0.2). The odd thing is that the EV databases were initially migrated from SQL2000 tot SQL2008 and the Enterprise Vault software (version 8) was manageable. During the upgrade process the deployment scanner gave no identication of SQL incompatibility, nor SQL possible collation errors. When the upgrade process was finished, i wasn't able to start the directory service without receiving "SQL general access denied errors" in eventvwr. From that moment on it went downhill :(.

When running the deployment scanner, I noticed the SQL collation errors on all four databases (databases of EV were in Latin1….., system default was in SQL_Latin1….).

I already looked into the Symantec technotes:

- It's not an option to change the default system sql collation;

- I'm not a fan off installing another instance on the server;

- Changing the collation type by using the SQL MS does not work on the vsg databases. An export an import with the correct SQL collation has failed.

- This procedure has been executed but failed on step 10 under SQL2005/2008.

• Host platform for the EV software: Windows 2003 Standard
  • Host platfrom for the SQL2000: Windows 2003 Standard
  • Host platorm for the SQL2008: Windows 2008 Standard

What i want to know is the following:

- I have called with Symantec support and they suggested a downgrade. Does anyone have any experience with it, as i don't find much information about it.

- How can i solve the sql collation type error without adding an instance or changing the default collation type.

Thank you for the input.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
By downgrade they mean to restore the databases you backed up just before upgrading and then installing he EV8 binaries, but really it doesnt sound like youve been able to upgrade the databases anyway What were the errors you got regarding collation? I'm guessing the master and the EV databases are different collations? Just as a matter of interest why is it not an option to rebuild the master db? Do other databases reside on this SQL server as well as the EV databases?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
By downgrade they mean to restore the databases you backed up just before upgrading and then installing he EV8 binaries, but really it doesnt sound like youve been able to upgrade the databases anyway What were the errors you got regarding collation? I'm guessing the master and the EV databases are different collations? Just as a matter of interest why is it not an option to rebuild the master db? Do other databases reside on this SQL server as well as the EV databases?

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thank you for your response.

I have the impression that EV isn't able to connect to the databases. The error I received after the upgrade was "Unmatched SQL collations". The databases of EV are all in the same collation, but these are different with those of the server default.

If i understand you right, the datafiles on disk remain untouched during the upgrade?

The SQL server is used for multiple production as non-production databases.. Changing default collation is not an option.

JesusWept3
Level 6

ok so that technote, you said it failed at step 10? a find and replace in a SQL statement?

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Yes, he did not found these lines.

We continued with the procedure, but we weren't able to connect to the databases with EV.

FreKac2
Level 6

What if you try and search the sql script for:

cast(@length as varchar(4))

According to the blog+comments it should be around line 1830 in the script.

I've used the script from the blog and edited the script with the comment before the last post to change the collation under sql 2008.

It worked when I did it at least.

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Frekac, thank you for your feedback.

I was able to restore everything back to the old version because i wasn't able to alter the script.

I noticed also the database weren't altered during the upgrade, by using these sql query's and the following technote:

I have a hunch the gap between sql2000 and sql2008 was too big (but supported in the SCL).

Therefore, I'm going to follow this procedure and see what happens:

1. database migration to sql2005
  2. ev upgrade to EV9.0.2
  3. database migration to sql2008
  4. (upgrade to EV10)

I keep you updated with the results.

Greetz,

Ruben