cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 10 (Virtual Vault and EVPM folders)

EvaultProfessio
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have a request and would like to understand Evault functionality, as well as, confirm if this would be this will work as intended.

1st: EVPM Folders. If creating EVPM folders under a users mailbox; is it possible to create layers of folders under a TOP level folder and apply a different "Retention Category" to the lowest folder in the tree? (I don't believe we can but this is the scenario...)

User Outlook Mailbox

--- Inbox (6 month Retention Category)

---- Evault (NO Retention Category)

|

------- Evault 1 (1 year Retention Category)

-------Evault 2 (2 year Retention Category)

2nd: Enabling (Virtual Vault) with EVPM folders listed above; 

a) Let's assume an item under the "Inbox" folder above was archived. That item required a longer Retention Period and therefore needs to be moved to the "Evault 2" folder.Will that item have a new retention period applied if we move it within the archive?

b) Or, does the user need to restore the item to the mailbox and re-archive to the appropriate folder with a longer retention period? (I believe this applies...)

Please advise on any comments or questions,

Thanks and best regards,

D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, it works with VV, refer to this TN:

Retention category changes when using Virtual Vault

Article:HOWTO57426  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2013-01-18  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO57426

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling

So as for create retention folders, yes, you can do that.  What I would recommend is that that default Retention Category for the mailbox be the 6 month and then set the retention on the folders via EVPM

Also, you might want to not archive the Top Level folder or set an Indefinete Retention to avoid items being deleted by mistake, but that is up to you.

It would look something like this:

[Folder]

Name = \RetentionFolder

RetentionCategory = Retention10years

OverrideArchiveLocks = true

[Folder]

Name = \RetentionFolder\one

RetentionCategory = Retention1years

[Folder]

Name = \RetentionFolder\Two

RetentionCategory = 3years

As long as you enabled the option to updated moved item retention if they user moves an archived item to a new folder it will be updated, so you will be okay there.

EvaultProfessio
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Tony,

Thanks again for your help! I will test the process as indicated.

Thanks again,

D.

EvaultProfessio
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Tony,

In regards to the "Updated Moved Item Retention"setting. Isn't that only applicable to "Shortcut" stubs?

"Shortcuts" at my client site are not configured; and the items moved will be done within the "Virtual Vault" is this setting still applicable to the archived item and will the "Retention" category be updated?

Please advise on any comments.

Thanks and best regards,

D.

TonySterling

Yes, it works with VV, refer to this TN:

Retention category changes when using Virtual Vault

Article:HOWTO57426  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2013-01-18  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO57426