cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 2007 backup confusion

d_0
Level 4

Hi All -- Please can you claify how to correctly backup EV2007 , i have just taken over admin of an EV2007 (no SP) system and i am confused with backup requirements in wether services do or do not have to be stopped.

We have a fairly basic setup where users manually archive emails into vault

We use netbackup , an agent runs for the SQL backup , from what i have read  this is ok no services need to be stopped , the main EV store and index locations are on a SAN based file share also backed up using netbackup agent but no services are stopped prior to the backup , its been like this since implementation but i am not sure the process is correct

From reading posts on this forum it seems the Storage service is supposed to be stopped prior to backup being taken of the vault store, does this still apply if using an agent to back the file share - the backup takes place in the middle of the night and as there are no users on site and vault archiving in our environment is a manual process for the users... is it ok to leave the storage service running ??

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NetBackup 6.5.4 has a new database agent for Enterprise Vault.
Detailed info: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/318349.pdf
Extract:
The NetBackup Enterprise Vault agent consists of the components that enable
you to protect the Enterprise Vault configuration information and data that
Enterprise Vault has archived. Thus, you should install all of the Enterprise Vault
agent components on each of the systems that comprise an Enterprise Vault
environment.
The Enterprise Vault agent enables you to back up and restore the Enterprise
Vault file system data and the Enterprise Vault SQL data. These types of data can
reside on different systems or devices, for instance, data can reside on NTFS or
NAS devices.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

d_0
Level 4

looks like i may have answered my own question

For backups you can find the latest guide here

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH172279

d_0
Level 4
actually one question comes from reading the backup best practices guide , as we have the SQL agent am i correct to presume the only service i need to stop is the storage service prior to backing up the vault store files located on the file share

if so which keys are still applicable for the storage service to be switched to read only and incorporated into the prebackup.bat file

Sample Registry File to Place Services in a Read Only Mode
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Storage]
"EnableArchive"=dword:00000000
"EnableExpiry"=dword:00000000
"EnableFileWatch"=dword:00000000
"EnableReplayIndex"=dword:00000000
“EnableNSFMigrations"=dword:00000000  For Lotus Domino Sites Only!
"EnableRestore"=dword:00000000
"EnableCrawler"=dword:00000000
"EnablePSTMigrations"=dword:00000000 registry entries apply to the storage service

d_0
Level 4

If i look at the properties for my indexing service the file location is also on the file share , hence in addition to stopping the storage service i should also stop the indexing service ?

then switch to ready only (which keys for both storage and indexing ?)

backup

switch back to normal (agin which reg keys )

thanks for clarifying this for me !

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NetBackup 6.5.4 has a new database agent for Enterprise Vault.
Detailed info: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/318349.pdf
Extract:
The NetBackup Enterprise Vault agent consists of the components that enable
you to protect the Enterprise Vault configuration information and data that
Enterprise Vault has archived. Thus, you should install all of the Enterprise Vault
agent components on each of the systems that comprise an Enterprise Vault
environment.
The Enterprise Vault agent enables you to back up and restore the Enterprise
Vault file system data and the Enterprise Vault SQL data. These types of data can
reside on different systems or devices, for instance, data can reside on NTFS or
NAS devices.

jajensen
Level 4
Partner
When doing the backup, you need to back up the SQL databases along with the index and vault store partitions.  The latter two being NTFS formats, you'll either want to shut down the storage and indexing services (I'd shut down task manager and shopping as well) to prevent locked files, or set the services in read-only mode by setting those DWORDS mentioned above in the registry to '0'.  Note that setting those keys requires a cycling of the storage and indexing services.  Setting all of this into read-only mode allows users to access archived items during backup.

The NSFMigrations and PSTMigrations dwords are only necessary if you're actually doing PST or NSF migrations to EV.

Once you're done with the backups, the dwords should be set to '1' and the services cycled once again to get out of read-only.

All of this is typically done through pre-and post-backup script.  They show samples of the script in the Administrator's Guide.

d_0
Level 4
netbackup agent is exactly what i am looking for ---many thanks for all the advice