cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 7.5 FSA ability

Popolou
Level 4
Hi all,

After getting the mailbox side of EV successfully setup how we like it, i`ve been reading into the use of FSA for our users to form part of a new backup routine.

However, i need confirmation on whethere FSA can do the following. I am intending to have FSA create an archive of our documents with pruning after the 5th file say. However, i do not want the service to remove the original files and replace them with shortcuts or url`s. In effect, to leave the original files on the fileserver and use FSA to create a file store alongside the live work files.

From the pdf`s on the functionality, i understand that leaving shortcuts is optional. However, the online help says that disabling shortcuts will delete the original file when the safety copy is made. If the main policy details say to never delete the files, then this should work as i intend right?

Cheers,

Popolou
3 REPLIES 3

colmtourque
Level 4
I believe no.  FSA is not for backing up or copying it's for archiving. I'll tell you this though in our small environment I've seen a huge benefit from archiving and leaving the shortcut and NO adverse affect on performance. Again, small shop with only a 40 or so in house and 150 or so out of house. 

Sorry I just had a duh moment.  My bet is if nothing else simply setting the Remove Safety Copies to Never on the General Tab of the Vault Store Properties will handle this. 

Message Edited by alco on 01-04-2008 11:50 AM

Popolou
Level 4
Lol, your second answer sounds more encouraging to me!

Allowing users the ability to restore files through Archive Explorer once accidentally deleted relieves a large burden on our backup/restore efforts and allows us focus on tape for pure offline and offsite long-term storage.

There seem to be a few posts on the topic on the forum, but do it take it that it's not a supported role then to deploy FSA in this role? I would have thought that it was designed for this too.

Cheers

Pop

colmtourque
Level 4
I'm hoping someone else will  chime in here on this one, but my understanding is not really.  On the other hand as long as you set your settings right I believe it should work. I thought about it some more over the weekend, just spend some good time in the setup and admin guide and make sure you do good backups at the outset in case you miss anything.  Again, I'm pretty new myself so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in a little yay or nay.
On vault properties if you set to never that should help also check the archive usage limit and to ensure it does not fill up. Under your File System archive properties I would check out the advanced tab and delete expired items and on your shortcuts tab make sure nothing there is checked.

The one final thing you will probably need to consider is that if your using the same vault store this could create an issue for you as if your email and files are in the same vault store then your emails will stay on the server because you'll never delete the files as the setting to remove files and leave placeholders is on a store by store basis. 

One final note; IF your file server is 2003 you can use Volume Shadow Copy for this purpose.

Message Edited by alco on 01-07-2008 06:57 AM