cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 9.1 Index level

RG009
Level 4

At present we are using medium Indexing level in our EV env. We would like to change this to full indexing. Regarding the change in index level,below are my understanding.

- No impact at the user level
- This will allow the additional possibility to search for Phrases (only benefit)
- The new indexing level apply only from the time we make this change ( i.e. this will not update the existing indexes)
- To make all items in the index to the new level , it is required to rebuild the index manually
- We expect the increase in the size of DB and index storage ( 8% to 12%).

If we need to get full indexing for old items, we have to rebuild index for each user. Considering our total archive size (more than 5 TB) how is this achievable ? We are also planning EV 10 migration early next year and it seems there is no medium level indexing available in EV 10. i am wondering whether the medium indexing will automatically convert to full index with EV 10 ?

Appreicate your clarification on this.

Thanks.

RG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK so if you were to change your indexing level from medium to full, you are correct that it would only work for *new* items that are archived and not for the old ones, this wouldn't have an impact on users, however if they wanted their existing indexes to be full you would need to do a full rebuild instead.

When you go to EV10, you could do the conversions, keeping the old indexes online until the indexes have been rebuilt using the new engine and it would then switch over.

You would not see any increase in database size, only in the index size, so if you have 5TB worth of archived date, you probably have around the 400GB of indexes range, where as if you go to full you will see about 600GB of data used

So my suggestion would to be just hold off until EV10 if you can , then set the indexes to full and then do the conversion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6

OK so if you were to change your indexing level from medium to full, you are correct that it would only work for *new* items that are archived and not for the old ones, this wouldn't have an impact on users, however if they wanted their existing indexes to be full you would need to do a full rebuild instead.

When you go to EV10, you could do the conversions, keeping the old indexes online until the indexes have been rebuilt using the new engine and it would then switch over.

You would not see any increase in database size, only in the index size, so if you have 5TB worth of archived date, you probably have around the 400GB of indexes range, where as if you go to full you will see about 600GB of data used

So my suggestion would to be just hold off until EV10 if you can , then set the indexes to full and then do the conversion

Andy_Joyce_VERI
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited

>>So my suggestion would to be just hold off until EV10 if you can , then set the indexes to full and then do the conversion

Just to expand on this.  In EV10 there is no Medium level, so all Medium indexes will be converted to Full Indexes as you upgrade them to the new 64-bit Indexes (which you can do post upgrade to EV10 in a phased controlled manner).

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

One thing to note about the rebuild: Depending on the archive size it can take a considerably amount of time, up to several weeks for e.g. journal archives. the existing index is dropped at the beginning of the rebuild, so during this time searches will not work/will not return complete results and also the functionality of archive explorer could be limited

JesusWept3
Level 6
Which is why suggested to wait to ev10 when you can do the conversion, it will keep the EV9 indexes online until the ev10 indexes are fully built, meaning you don't have an interruption and loss of ability to search

RG009
Level 4

Thank you all for the detailed reponse. I have one last point to clarify

If we just change to "Full indexing" now and do not rebuild the old one's, is there any impact ?  I am thinking the old items will get full indexed during the upgrade to EV 10 in future.

JesusWept3
Level 6

There will be no impact except for your Index storage will grow at a slightly faster pace
after the change, just restart the Indexing and Task Controller service.

As mentioned before, to get the full benefit, indexes would need to be rebuilt, but the best option is to hold off until you convert the indexes in EV10 which would have no user impact as they are built in EV10 whilst the old style indexes remain online so users shouldnt see any inteference

RG009
Level 4

Its clear now. We will wait until EV 10 upgrade to perform this change.

Thanks again for all your help!