cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Disk Read Every 15 Minutes?

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

I have an issue with an EV server running 8.5 that's performing a SQL operation every 15 minutes on the dot. I'm trying to find out what the Enterprise Vault Admin service is doing that causes the SQL service to perform a read operation of 60 MBs on my database store. It's noticeable on my ESX environment because it shows a spike in my virtual disk enviornment for over 200,000 KBps where the rest of the EV servers only perform small reads.

Does anyone know anything that runs every 15 minutes in EV to check or monitor something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

The only recommendation I would have to the documentation is that the Troubleshooting EVOM guide is based on IIS 6 and doesn't show the manual installation process or configuration for IIS 7. It would be nice to have the document updated for both types of IIS versions.

I'd also like to correct the previous installation statement issue. I hadn't realized that at some point in the EV 8 installation that the EVOM is not automatically configured and that execution of the monitoring configuration is required after the server install. That's my own mistake.

Specially, for those that want the detailed information. The usps_ArchivingPerformanceByHours procedure can be detected by running a SQL profiler trace when only the Enterprise Vault Admin Service is running on the system. The technote article, TECH78550, states performance issues when archiving and running the monitor. On my journal archiving system, this is a 60 MB read on storage every 15 minutes. The request is also process intensive on the SQL server process to support the procedure call.

Thanks for everyone's help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is your storage device? 

Check the Scan partition every value on the Backup tab of the partition properties it could you are scanning for secured items every 15 minutes?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

it could be the EVMonitoringMiddleTier because i'm pretty sure that kicks off ever 15 minutes

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

I've determined that it's a performance monitor in the EVOM. Interestly, this didn't seem to install properly on my Windows 2008 64 bit environment. It was not added to the IIS system properly but is actually monitoring. I am attempting to use the documentation for troubleshooting EVOM but it would be nice if they would update it for IIS 7.

Thanks for the help guys.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

don't forgot to mark the solution :)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

If you find specific problems with the documentation, I'm more than happy to follow up on those.

Working for cloudficient.com

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

The only recommendation I would have to the documentation is that the Troubleshooting EVOM guide is based on IIS 6 and doesn't show the manual installation process or configuration for IIS 7. It would be nice to have the document updated for both types of IIS versions.

I'd also like to correct the previous installation statement issue. I hadn't realized that at some point in the EV 8 installation that the EVOM is not automatically configured and that execution of the monitoring configuration is required after the server install. That's my own mistake.

Specially, for those that want the detailed information. The usps_ArchivingPerformanceByHours procedure can be detected by running a SQL profiler trace when only the Enterprise Vault Admin Service is running on the system. The technote article, TECH78550, states performance issues when archiving and running the monitor. On my journal archiving system, this is a 60 MB read on storage every 15 minutes. The request is also process intensive on the SQL server process to support the procedure call.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Matthew, I'll take a look at your suggestions, and I'll let you know (early next week) if I raise any bugs/defects on them (to make the changes)

Working for cloudficient.com