cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Temporary File Usage

dfwood
Level 4
Guys.

I know this sounds daft but, as per the EV admin guide its recommended to have the location for temporary file usage on another drive, which I have done.

What I need to know is, when does EV start to clean up after its self during an archiving run? As the run that is currently going on here the temporary file usage has used over half the available drive space and I didn't want the archiving run to just stop in the middle of it run.

Thanks,

Dan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dfwood
Level 4
Digging around I found this Symantec knowledge base article http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305058.htm

By default EV deletes any temporary files that are older than 24 hours, if you add the registry mentioned in the above article or Registry_Values.pdf, you can clear them down sooner.

Resolution
Add the following registry keys to delete these types of files.

1. Go to Start | Run on the EV server, type regedit and click OK.

2. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\AdminService.

3. Right-click AdminService key and choose New > String Value.

4. Enter the name DelFileTypes (case sensitive).

5. Double-click on DelFileTypes and enter a list of file types separated by a semi-colon.
For example:
ExchangePerf*.dat;EV$*.*;*.tmp;~DF*.tmp

6. Right-click AdminService key and choose New > DWORD Value.

7. Enter the name DelFilesOlderThanHours (case sensitive).

8. Double-click DelFilesOlderThanHours and enter a decimal value for hours.

NOTE: If the value of DelFilesOlderThanHours is set to zero, all matching files will be deleted immediately, as long as they are not read-only, are directories, or are in use.

9. Restart the Enterprise Vault Admin Service for the changes to take affect.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
can you give us examples of the file names?  Are you using File System Archiving?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
can you give us examples of the file names?  Are you using File System Archiving?

dfwood
Level 4
Yes we are using File System Archiving, the file names start ~DF****.tmp

Unfortunately for us what I feared happened and the archiving task failed last night as it used all the disk space up on the disk assigned for temp file usage.

dfwood
Level 4
Digging around I found this Symantec knowledge base article http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305058.htm

By default EV deletes any temporary files that are older than 24 hours, if you add the registry mentioned in the above article or Registry_Values.pdf, you can clear them down sooner.

Resolution
Add the following registry keys to delete these types of files.

1. Go to Start | Run on the EV server, type regedit and click OK.

2. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\AdminService.

3. Right-click AdminService key and choose New > String Value.

4. Enter the name DelFileTypes (case sensitive).

5. Double-click on DelFileTypes and enter a list of file types separated by a semi-colon.
For example:
ExchangePerf*.dat;EV$*.*;*.tmp;~DF*.tmp

6. Right-click AdminService key and choose New > DWORD Value.

7. Enter the name DelFilesOlderThanHours (case sensitive).

8. Double-click DelFilesOlderThanHours and enter a decimal value for hours.

NOTE: If the value of DelFilesOlderThanHours is set to zero, all matching files will be deleted immediately, as long as they are not read-only, are directories, or are in use.

9. Restart the Enterprise Vault Admin Service for the changes to take affect.