cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV server recovery question

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is there a way to recover an EV server without a backup of the Directory database?

I have complete and good backups of all other databases, vault store partitions and EV indexes but the directory database seems to be corrupt and failing to restore. I don't have any previous backup versions.

Is there anything that can be done here? It's a kind of old lab\POC environment and so not mission critical and consists of a single EV server that was just archiving from Exchange user mailboxes only.

I'm not really interested in continuing with active archiving but I could do with being able to recall items that have been previosuy archived so I can continue some additional testing. I thought there might perhaps be a way I could restore all the other databases and EV files I have and then use something like EVSVR in some way? I think I read it could create the archive information in the directory database from what is already in the vaultstore databases.....

thanks

EV version is 10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA

Hello,

IMHO, you need to clear that.

As far as I recall, these entries hold the identifier for the specific services, and that is random when created. Clearing this will either re-enter the existing id, or it will get the new id when services are installed.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

I think it could be possible but would mean a very very large effort, which probably isnt worth it for a Lab environment.

You would have to change database entries and then "correct" the savesets with EVSVR, but this is only hypotheticly.

Never tested it without the directory database.

Is the directory DB the only one missing?

Prone2Typos

I agree with the above. You would set up and install and configure including all the VSDB layout and then hack it to reflect the orig data. Large effort I have only seen people try in Prod because it is such a PitA.

CadenL

Thanks both

As luck would have it, I've found an alternative backup of the directory database which I will try to recover from. The backup I have for the directory database is a few weeks more recent than the other backups I have - Is this perhaps going to be a problem (bearing in mind I had absolutely nothing before)??  I'm going to restore it anyway and see where it takes me.

I do have a question though on a EV DR whitepaper that perhaps someone can answer for me.

https://sort.veritas.com/DocPortal/pdf/EV_WhitePaper_DR

The process starts on page 13 - I've rebuilt my EV server and also my SQL server using the same names and IP address as before and so I plan to skip over procedure 3 and go straight to procedure 4 (recovery for this will be via Backup Exec).  My question is if I need to complete procedure 5? What does this do and is it necessary? I've no problem in running the SQL script but didn't want to remove stuff from the directory database if I should be skipping this for my recovery scenario.

kind regards

GertjanA

Hello,

IMHO, you need to clear that.

As far as I recall, these entries hold the identifier for the specific services, and that is random when created. Clearing this will either re-enter the existing id, or it will get the new id when services are installed.

Regards. Gertjan

CadenL

Thanks Gertjan

I've run that anyway as I couldn't see it doing anything but helping.

I've hit another problem, but for now..... thanks very much

thanks

Caden