Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV unable to connect to SQL after AD Upgrade

wandarah
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi, 

In one of our test environments an upgrade to AD was performed. Now running AD 2012 w/ 2008 R2 Functional Level. 

Unfortunately the EV services were not stopped - and now the EV Directory Service is unable to start, as it can no longer connect to SQL. All accounts, permissions, and connectivity remains in place and unchanged. 

The issue appears to be described in a little detail here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH199339

Unfortunately no solution is offered. Nor is an AD 'maintainence stop' clearly defined. I assume this means when AD services on a server are stopped. Or when the DC's are promoted for instance. Does this mean then, that EV services should be stopped when DC's are rebooted, or patched? Under what exact conditions should EV services be stopped?

This is the first time I've run into the issue, and have had DC"s turned off and on multiple times in many test labs and environments.

Also, any suggestions on how to resolve the problem would be much appreciated. I'm hesitant to reinstall the binaries.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

wandarah
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Ok. A follow up. After much stuffing around and trawling of event logs - an Kerebos authentication issue appears to be responsible. Possibly something to do with the new SPN features in AD 2012. 

So not an EV issue. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what's the exact error you're getting?

can you reboot the sql server?

can you login to the sql server with the EV service account?

can you run sql mgmt studio and connect to the EV databases when logged in as the EV svc account?

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Also, did you reboot the EV server?

wandarah
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys, 

A variety of errors: 8900 mostly, when trying to start the directory service. 

Both EV and SQL boxes have been rebooted. 

Yes, I can login to the SQL server with the VSA, and access the EV Databases. The VSA has all possible permissions. I actually removed and re-added it also. 

The only noticable thing, is that if I go to click 'Database Diagrams' after expanding a database, it tells me Diagram Support objects cannot be installed as the database does not have a valid owner. The VSA is the owner of all Databases. So I'm not sure this is relevant. 

I've bitten the bullet - and as I couldn't just reinstall the binaries, I've uninstalled and am trying to reinstall the server software. Unfortunately I still cannot connect to the SQL server. 

Truly baffling. 

wandarah
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Ok. A follow up. After much stuffing around and trawling of event logs - an Kerebos authentication issue appears to be responsible. Possibly something to do with the new SPN features in AD 2012. 

So not an EV issue. 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Interesting - can you elaborate?

Working for cloudficient.com

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Maybe you need to reset the SPN of the SQL Server?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731241%28v=ws.10%29.aspx#BKMK_examples

wandarah
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Quite possibly. I will forward the link onto the parties responsible for fixing this, and come back and post here if this works - or indeed, whatever the fix may be. 

wandarah
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Alrighty. 

Turns out a GPO was responsible for the handing out of tickets with 'stuff' in them that no longer existed in 2012. New tickets containing the correct 'stuff' had to be given to the server. 

I hope that clears it up....

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay that's great.

Working for cloudficient.com