cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV9 - Moving Archives - Disk Filling Up

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have an environment with an EV9 server and a new EV10 server, and I am moving archives from EV9 to EV10.  So far 200+ archives moved OK, but now I am running into an issue on the old EV9 server whereby the disk storage is filling up. 

The EV is installed on the R drive on the old EV9 server, along with the partitions (not good), and at the start of the moves there was 76GB free on the R drive.  As I have been moving the archives this 76GB free disk on the source server is reducing, and has finally got down to approx 5GB.  I have set the NOMONITOR switch on the Task Controller service to stop the services shutting down - but have now stopped the moves as I don't want to fill the disk completely.  When I noticed the low disk space I selected to delete the completed jobs (and the original archives) on the source server from the Move Archive Status window - and this has reclaimed some space.  I have a number of FAILED moves which I will be revisiting shortly - are these the ones which are holding disk space ?

What process is involved in a move ?  I understood that the source archive was marked read only, the archive was copied to the target EV server, shortcuts updated, Outlook set to disable archiving and then a verify done.  At any point is there a copy made on the source server ?  If not, why is my disk space being eaten up by the move process ? 

Whilst there are many horror stories about using move archive for a 'large' move, all was going well until I hit the disk space issue.

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That would explain it.  The files are extracted from the .cab and live on disk for a bit until the collection process runs again.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

dont suppose you use collections do you??

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes - collections would be enabled.

AJ.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That would explain it.  The files are extracted from the .cab and live on disk for a bit until the collection process runs again.

Sortid
Level 6

Under older versions of EV you could just delete the ARCHDVS files - is that still appropriate in EV9?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So back to the OP.  What setting have you got with regards to collections and the clearing of the ARCHDVS files?

Working for cloudficient.com

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Sorry, forgot to respond.  As you pointed out it was linked to the collections.  I manually ran the collections and all of the space was reclaimed.

Thanks for the input.

AJ