cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault 10 NotReadyForShortCut

bluefish1976
Level 3

I have created a policy to archive some volumes of a file server and shortcuts (placeholders) are not created. When I use the run now in report mode I can see in the log file the error NotReadyForShortCut. The operative system I'm using for Enterprise Vault server it's windows 2008 r2 standard and I'm doing a backup with the windows backup of the vault store partition, and vault store . The vault store it's configured with the option remove safety copies after backup.

Thank you very much, regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

When you do your test with the checking of the archive bit, you need to restart the EV storage service in order for for it to take affect. You probably need to go towards Trigger File method if you still want to use Windows 2008 backup (unless you hav ebought third party software such as BackupExec or NetBackup).

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

What is your Shortcut Creation set in the archiving policy?

abhishin86
Level 2
Accredited

Has the Vault Store Partition been backed up? If not then as your vault store partition is set to "after backup" then the report would says awaitng backup i.e. (NotReadyForShortCut)

bluefish1976
Level 3

My shortcut creation set it's create chortcut inmediately.

bluefish1976
Level 3

Yes I'm backing up regulary the Vault stores full partition with the windows backup. I have backed up manually the partition and later I have run the report manually and always I see in the log all files that can be archived but in the log there's always the same words "ARCHIVE ReadyForArchive CREATESHORTCUTSIMMEDIATELY NotReadyForShortcut"

Sorry for the before image that it's very big.

Thanks for your help, regards

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Are you using Windows 2008 R2 Windows Backup to backup your vault stores? I don't believe you Windows Backup in Windows 2008 can reset the archive bit using windows backup, if that's the method you are using for Saefty Copies.

bluefish1976
Level 3

Yes I'm using Windows 2008 R2 Windows Backup for backing up Vault Stores. I'm going to look for information about how windows bakup works and if the archive bit it's reset when using windows backups.

Thanks for your help.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

It doesn't reset the archive bit as the attributes has changed in Windows 2008 and R2 and infact MS has removed this feature :-). There has been a few discussions on this forum already.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/question-around-windows-2008-backup-and-ev-and-archiv...

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Should be easy to determine, just browse the vault store partition and look on the properties of a dvs file to see if the Ready for Archive attribute is unchecked.  If it is still checked you would want to look at using the Trigger File method as described in the Admin guide or in this technote: Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67559

bluefish1976
Level 3

Yes CTEV you are right, Windows 2008 and R2 doesn't reset bit archive after backup :( .

Now I have done a backup with another tool.

As stated by TonySterling, I have checked the archive bit in some dvs files and the root folder where Enterprise Vault stores are stored and the attribute bit it's uncheked.

After doing that checks I have done the run now in report mode and still I see the sema error in the log file:"ARCHIVE ReadyForArchive CREATESHORTCUTSIMMEDIATELY NotReadyForShortcut"

I think it's a little wire, I'm going to review the above links.

Thanks for your help, regards.

bluefish1976
Level 3

I have done a more exhaustive review on dvs files and some of them are checked. Then, I'm going to to look at using the Trigger File method.

Thanks again for your help!!.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

When you do your test with the checking of the archive bit, you need to restart the EV storage service in order for for it to take affect. You probably need to go towards Trigger File method if you still want to use Windows 2008 backup (unless you hav ebought third party software such as BackupExec or NetBackup).

bluefish1976
Level 3

Hello I just did a check, I know it is not correct but I have cleaned the archive bit using: attrib.

As I know I have a full consistent backup I have ran attrib -a * /s to clean the bit archive for all files and now in the log file I can see:"ARCHIVE ArchivedBackedUp CREATESHORTCUTSIMMEDIATELY ReadyForShortcut".

As for now I'll continue using the Windows Backup I'll have to use Trigger File method.

Thank you very much to CTEV and to TonySterling for your help.

Best regards

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Glad it's all working now. You're most welcome!!!