cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evault 8 One user Laptop and Desktop

Vincent_Atos
Level 2

Hello All,

We have an issue with 1 user, who is using Evault 8 on a desktop (where Outlook and Evault is cached) and a laptop (where outlook and Evault is cached).

This is a scenario which leads to problems. Because when you set mail on the desktop for archiving, the laptop is not aware of that. So nothing will be archived at that moment. And so there are manny situations which are causing issues.

I guess and think, there is no solution for this issue, apart from that this user must make choice whether to use or a desktop or a laptop and not both.

Is there a statement, we can use to our client, that this situation is not supported by Symantec Enterprise Vault?

Thank you for your time.

Yves Koks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
That's not how it works, when you hit store in vault the item gets changed from a regular ipm.note to an ipm.note.enterprisevault.archiveme and is stamped with different EV attributes, it then sends the request to the EV server and that will use the exchange archiving task to connect to the mailbox and find the item Note that it connects to the mailbox on exchange and not the cached outlook profile
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes you do need to use one or the other as the fact that the mail is cached means it is local to that machine and is not sync'd between machines. this would be true also irrespective of whether ev is enabled or not.

Unfortunately there is no defined statement on this that i know of. 

One option is that the user access his mail via OWA and then he will have a consistent experience and be able to store, restore and retrieve email.

JesusWept3
Level 6
I'm confused So on your desktop you hit store in vault, and the issue is that the laptop isnt syncing the change that it's been archived? That's an outlook issue but it's supported, and you shouldn't have to make a choice, that's silly You could use virtual vault against both the desktop and laptop I suppose and drag and drop items to the virtual vault and then sync it

Vincent_Atos
Level 2

It would be sinking when it is archived. But not when it is marked for archiving.
Because Evault is looking for the mail that is marked in desktop outlook cache, and can't find that
in the laptop outlook cache. If the desktop is working without the outlook cache, there will be no issue.

Even when you want to get mail out of the archiving. When that is set on the desktop, the laptop is not aware that that mail is back from archive, so the laptop thinks he should look in the archive store, while the archive store is sure that the mail is not there anymore, but on the desktop.

JesusWept2 wrote:
"You could use virtual vault against both the desktop and laptop I suppose and drag and drop items to the virtual vault and then sync it"

Will that not be to difficult for the end user? Or too much trouble...

JesusWept3
Level 6
That's not how it works, when you hit store in vault the item gets changed from a regular ipm.note to an ipm.note.enterprisevault.archiveme and is stamped with different EV attributes, it then sends the request to the EV server and that will use the exchange archiving task to connect to the mailbox and find the item Note that it connects to the mailbox on exchange and not the cached outlook profile