cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange migration with EV and Outlook 2000

kudosit
Level 2
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice as not sure how to run this one.

I have an Ex 2000 Org that I want to move to Ex 2007 (straightforward enough - upgrade organisation and then move mailbox). Clients are Outlook 2000 and proposal is to use OWA 2007 (not my decision!). Currently lots of PST on desktop that we want to move into EV8.

I believe Outlook 2000 isn't supported by EV 8 (and it's not supported with Ex 2007 either), so not sure how to go about this. Install EV7 then upgrade?

Any thoughts on how to migrate?

TIA
Kudos
3 REPLIES 3

Maverik
Level 6
I would upgrade Outlook first as if you check compatibility guide not supported on EV7 either.
Then upgrade Exchange, once all that is sorted and any issues ironed out then upgrade EV. Once all sorted there and happy migrate PST's. I would not try doing this all at once so you have plenty of time to resolve any issues that arise, do it in stages allowing time between each phase.

kudosit
Level 2

Thanks The Don,

Unfortunately upgrade of Outlook isn't an option, the cost is too prohibitive. Ideally we would have done this, but OWA is it I'm afraid.

Any other options?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You could just turn on journaling, remove EV from the users desktops and use exchange to manage the mailbox content retention by setting up the policy on exchange.

That way the amount of data stored is restricted by exchange. all email are archived by the journal process and the retention in the journal store is set by an EV policy.

If they then want to use any client to access Exchange they can including OWA or thunderbird or anything

OK i know it is a bit out there but they are not giving you many choices so this is a far out there idea to keep your costs down and still archive everything