Did you mean: 

File System Archiving - New EV volume associate to old archive

peterameghino
Level 3

Environment:
EV10 SP3 (windows 2008R2)
SQL 2008
File server (windows 2008)

I had a share folder with archived information, for some reason Windows Admin changed shared name (from "Disco_U" to "Personal Data").

Archiving doesnt work for that volume (made sense). I dont want to duplicate archived information. I would like to perform archiving to "Personal Data" information using same archive (Disco_U).

I believe there is some changes I have to do over SQL to have this done.

Ideas?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

peterameghino
Level 3

Hello Guys, Im working with BSC in order to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your support

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello peter,

I am not sure if you can associate the new share with the old archive. Even if you can update this information manually in the Enterprise Vault directory database, the folder path for each single archived item has the 'Disco_U' on it. Thus, if you try to recall a placeholder, EV will try to restore it to its original location which was the 'Disco_U' volume and the recall would fail.

You could use FSAUtility to migrate the placeholders to update the PH location using the -pm command but you will need the have the old share in the file server. This is something you need to test before, since the FSAUtility command requires that the source and destination path have an archive point created, i.e. you might need to add the 'Personal Data' as a new volume and that would create a new archive.

I hope this helps.

peterameghino
Level 3

THank you GaveV for your time.

I believe should be antoher way, since if for some reason disk dies on the File Server, we should have another way to do it.

So time ago one of our File Servers died. We recovery and paiste the archived information into a new file server (diferent DNS and Name), We installed agent and we were able to retrieve the information. Course we couldnt archive but I know we can made some change on SQL to associate old archived information with the new file server.

I know this is a litle be different but It should be another way to do it.

If there is anyone else that maybe try something different....??

Thank you again GaveV

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can try first on Test environment :

1. Open the Vault Admin Console [VAC]
2. Expand Enterprise Vault [EV] site
3. Expand targets then expand fileservers
4. Expand the fileserver containing the Archive Point that will be renamed
5. Right click the volume containing the archive point to be renamed select “ArchivePoints”
6. Click on the archive point and click the EDIT button at the bottom
7. Enter the new name in the NAME enter and click OK
8. Right click the FSA Task and select PROPERTIES/SYNCHRONIZATION
9. Click the Synchronization button

peterameghino
Level 3

Hello Ajay

I saw this option in another post.

I not able to rename "archivepoints" since there isnt

2013-09-02_164651.jpg

Old volume is on the console but not reference to that location. Im not able to use -pmm because there isnt original destination.

Windows Admin just remaned the shared.

Im able to access archived items, but I need to start archiving on that location but I cant duplicate information into our storage.

Thank you guys!

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

How's the archive points structure? Are you archiving '\' (root of the volume) or do you have subfolders under the volume for archiving?

-- You already answered this question with the screenshot below --

One recommendation could be to ask to your Windows admin to create the share again. You can create two shares pointing to the same folder. But, again, do a test first since FSAUtility -pm moves the archive point from one folder to another and you might end with no archive point since we are talking about the same folder.

peterameghino
Level 3

Morning Guys!, any other idea?

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You should be able to edit the archive point to point to the original archive point and have it work seamlessly. I have done this with folders of the same name but not with a name change.. I would suggest trying it in a lab but this is the pre-FSA utility method to accomplish this.

peterameghino
Level 3

Hello Guys, Im working with BSC in order to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your support