cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Install of EV8

rickyrak
Level 4
Hello Everyone -

I am new to the forum and working with Symantec products for some time now.   I am somewhat new to Enterprise Vault but have seen a few demo and have a basic understanding.  In my meetings with Symantec reps, I understood it should be pretty straight forward to install and setup.  It would require 2 servers (1 for EV, and 1 for SQL) and then the Vault store (we will use Etherchannel EMC Celerra box CIFS store).

My question to everyone -

Is it really that easy to install?  I am reading the installation manual and it seems straight forward, but I want to be sure.  I have an implementer who is charging a sky rocket price, and I want to try at least the installation on my own, and maybe some configuration.

Can anyone provide a bulleted high level steps?  Which software needs to be installed? What is required to install?  I am only doing EV and Discovery Accelerator and have only 300 GB of PST files as of now.

I was reading about CNAME and stuff, is that required? do I need to make any domain changes?  Do i need to do anything drastic?

My plan was:

install EV and all settings
install SQL and all settings
start testing with a few archives

it has to be harder than that....
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
hello rickyrak,

Can you just install it by clicking next, next, finish?  I suppose you can but that is a bit short sighted.  You need to plan for your environment past the installation. 

The install and config guide covers all the pre-reqs and you can go it alone if you choose, but without a implementation plan or design you might find yourself in a bad situation down the road. 

To your question about using an alias, YES it is important.  Don't be naive in thinking you will never have to change a domain name.

If the implementor is charging too much shop around, there are lots of options out there.

feel free to PM and I can recommend a few.

Regards,
Tony

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
EV is not hard to install. Make sure you follow the guidelines and pre reqs and the install should be fine

Planning the sizing of your environment is a different story. You need to be very careful on how it is design/ planned and sized to meet your sites needs. There is nothing worse than installing a system to find that it cant keep up with the demands of the users or environment overall.

I know it is expensive to have a 3rd party supplier come in to help you but in the long run it is the best way to go because they have seen may installs and have the knowledge to perform the installation and teach you how to use it correctly

You can try on your own but for ease of mind for yourself and your management I say get the system sized right by trained professionals who have the experience in the product

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
hello rickyrak,

Can you just install it by clicking next, next, finish?  I suppose you can but that is a bit short sighted.  You need to plan for your environment past the installation. 

The install and config guide covers all the pre-reqs and you can go it alone if you choose, but without a implementation plan or design you might find yourself in a bad situation down the road. 

To your question about using an alias, YES it is important.  Don't be naive in thinking you will never have to change a domain name.

If the implementor is charging too much shop around, there are lots of options out there.

feel free to PM and I can recommend a few.

Regards,
Tony