cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HCAP vault store and Shortcut processing

MarkFoss
Level 3
Hello,

I've been told by a Symantec support tech to consider changing our shortcut removal status from "After backup" to "Immediately after archiving" for all our vault stores.

We have an HCAP (now called HCP) CIFS WORM storage NAS and it has a mirrored system at another site.  It is replicating to the secondary site 24/7 and is about 2 to 4 hours behind the primary HCAP.

We have 2 Journal EV servers and 2 Exchange Mailbox EV servers - all four servers are are in the same VS storage group and SIS shares within this group.  Our 2 Journal servers process shortcuts "Immediately after archiving" and our EV mailbox archives process shortcuts "After backup"

HCAP does NOT allow Enterprise Vault to rename the "IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt" to "IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old".   Backups occur daily and I force a Trigger file on all the partitions within the backup mode script.  I continue to have trigger file issues with HCAP and as my partition sets grow - the script to insert the trigger file is starting to get unmanagable.

Since my system replicates to another site at all times, should I change "After backup" to "Immediately after archiving" on my mailbox vault stores too?  That way, I don't need to deal with the trigger file and the various shortcut processing issues I come across.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Maverik
Level 6
If you are happy that all data is replicated and in the event of a disaster recovery you will lose four hours worth of data I would say yes, change it. the after Backup mechinision is only there to ensure that the savesets and saveset parts (EV8 and above) are backed up before the data is remo0ved from Exchange.  You will need to  monitor replication though if you change this setting because EV will not have any knowledge of the replication. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Maverik
Level 6
If you are happy that all data is replicated and in the event of a disaster recovery you will lose four hours worth of data I would say yes, change it. the after Backup mechinision is only there to ensure that the savesets and saveset parts (EV8 and above) are backed up before the data is remo0ved from Exchange.  You will need to  monitor replication though if you change this setting because EV will not have any knowledge of the replication.