cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move file servers targets to new servers

FENDI
Not applicable

Hi All,

I'm planning to upgrade our fileshare servers to new server in with better storage.

Currently our old fileshare server is running windows server 2003 sp2 and using symantec enterprice vault v 9.0.0.1193 to archived the old files. This old fileshare servers is using virtual dns name because it have cluster failover

Our new fileshare servers will be using windows servers 2008 R2 Ent and all the folder structure will be exactly the same from the old fileshare servers.

We will point the virtual dns server to the new server and the SEV targets file servers also is using the virtual dns name.

The question is can I just run the syncronization or still need to used the FSAUtility and copy the placeholder to new server?

4 REPLIES 4

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have done this once, and did require an update directly into the SQL databases as described in this technote:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH144810

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

I think you need to copy the placeholder and run the EV FSA agent on new server.

plaudone
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you stating that the target file server name will be the same as the source?  If so, the quickest solution would be to backup and restore the current data to the new server as it will have the same structure.   EV will only care about the name resolution and not about the OS version.  

Trafford
Level 4
Partner Accredited

There is some good documentation on the subject

See the White Paper : Technical

"Migrating and Consolidating
File Servers with Enterprise Vault"
Evan Barrett
Enterprise Vault Technical Field Enablement

Also the "Setting up FIle Server Archving" guide, chapter 11 "Effects of modifying, moving, or deleting folders" highlights the issues

You imply you're providing new storage, so presumably the data will be moved or copied somehow. Make sure the tool can copy the Alternate Data Streams that Ev uses to hold placeholder & archive point information in the filesystem