cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase the number of journal mailboxes.. setup advice?

dgoodyear
Level 5
I'm looking more for advice or suggestions here... pros and cons from anyone with similar setups perhaps?

We are using Exchange 2007 globally.  We are using EV 2007.  We have 4 Vault Sites in the company in 4 regions of the world.  Exchange servers in the regions are tied to their respective EV server.  We are using journaling as well with a single journal mailbox in one location on one of the Vault Sites so all incoming/outgoing mail journals to that EV server.

Ultimately we will end up with 3 regional Exchange EDGE setups.  I was wondering if it might be worth having separate regional journaling mailboxes.  What are the pros/cons of going from our single journal mailbox to three journal mailboxes in a setup like ours?

A few pros I can think of are: Potentially less network traffic or more isolated network traffic, a bit more load balancing

A few cons: we'll lose some single instance storage, journaled mail will now be split into three pieces rather than have it all in one site (Discovery Accelerator and legal searching may not like slower searching)

I guess I could step back much further and ask, is it definitely possible to go from one two three journal mailboxes?  From what I can tell it looks like it is just configuration changes and mailbox creations (to put it super simply)

Any comments would be appreciated.  Thanks!!
2 REPLIES 2

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
It is possible to go from one to three mailboxes, that would not be the problem. However, it's very difficult to give advice without more information. E.g. what is you daily mail volume which needs to be journaled? What are the network links between the sites? Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

dgoodyear
Level 5
Most sites are 6M mpls linked and we average roughly a million emails per month (based on our current size).. possibly a bit lower than that but its a good high estimate.