Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing EV Domino Gateway (EVDG) on an existing EV server

Toli_Papa
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

Has anyone ever configured an EV Domino Gateway on a server that is already running Enterprise Vault?

To clarify the situation:

1. I have existing EV solution for FSA and Exchange mailbox/journal archiving
  2. I now want to add Domino mailbox and journal archiving to the existing EV environment
  3. I want to configure one of the existing EV servers as the EV Domino Gateway

The Symantec documentation states the following:

"On the computer that will host the Enterprise Vault Domino Gateway, do the following:

• Install Domino server binaries and configure the Domino server
  • Install Lotus Notes client binaries and hotfix, and configure the client. Use the ID file that you want to use for Domino archiving.

After you have completed these tasks, you can install Enterprise Vault and perform the initial configuration."

I would like to avoid adding an additional server just for the EVDG or performing a re-install of one of the existing EV servers.

The plan!

Is it possible to do the following without breaking the existing EV server:

1. Install the Domino server and client binaries as per the pre-requisites on the existing EV server
  2. Run the EV binaries again and add the EVDG components
  3. Configure Domino mailbox and journal archiving as per normal

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Toli_Papa
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello all,

Incase anyone has ever wondered if it is possible to set up the EVDG on an existing EV server, you can do so without any issue.

Basically, i performed the following in a lab environment:

1. Registered EV Domino Gateway server in Domino
  2. Installed Domino server 32bit as per the EV requirements on the existing EV server
  3. Re-Ran EV installer and added the EVDG component on the EV server
  4. Configured Domino mailbox archiving etc

Was rather painless, there was more effort involved in getting a Domino lab together.

Obviously, in a production env, you would make sure to take a backup of all necessary components on the EV server you are adding the domino gateway role onto as a roll back plan.

I will mark as solved.

Toli

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are you not looking to add a new EV server to do Domino archiving?  You want to be careful to not overload your EV servers.

Toli_Papa
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your response Tony,

We've run the numbers and there is ample resource on the exsting EV server to take on Domino.

Domino mail is a small number of mail-in databases, with low volume, used for Domino web applications.

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, 

I dont think that it will be possible, cause you need to configure a mail client profile that connects to the server for each Exchange and Notes. I belive you cant do this only on one server.

I have installed EV for FSA and ECHx and one Gateway EV for Domino.

Best regards

Cruisen

Toli_Papa
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks cruisen,

I think I should clarify my question though, as I am concerned with the EV Domino Gateway role.

My question is - Can I install the EVDG components on an existing EV server?

I was hoping i could configure an existing EV server with the EVDG pre-reqs and run the EV binaries to add the EVDG components - much like when installing monitoring or reporting for example.

I am keen to find out if anyone has ever come across this situation and tried it etc.

Thanks guys.

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

From the installation guide:

Prerequisites for Domino mailbox archiving
For Domino mailbox archiving, you need to configure the following:

■ One or more Enterprise Vault Domino Gateways.
The Enterprise Vault Domino Gateway is a Domino server that is customized
by Enterprise Vault configuration. The Enterprise Vault Domino Gateway
provides the interface between Lotus Notes clients and Enterprise Vault. All
the major actions on archived data (opening, restoring, deleting and searching)
are handled by the Enterprise Vault Domino Gateway

I dont think that you can run Exchange and Domino plus the EV customization binaries on the same server.

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Take in mind that the version of Domino should be for EV 10 , 32 Bits, whereas the Prerequisites for EV Exch are 64 bit.

Domino Server 8.5.2 (32-bit version) Fix Pack 2 and Lotus Notes Client 8.5.2 for EV 10.

I am not sure about your case but it should be similair to your version of EV.

Thanks

Cruisen

Toli_Papa
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your responses Cruisen,

I think I'll have to set up a lab and see how it behaves.

Will post the results. Toli

Toli_Papa
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello all,

Incase anyone has ever wondered if it is possible to set up the EVDG on an existing EV server, you can do so without any issue.

Basically, i performed the following in a lab environment:

1. Registered EV Domino Gateway server in Domino
  2. Installed Domino server 32bit as per the EV requirements on the existing EV server
  3. Re-Ran EV installer and added the EVDG component on the EV server
  4. Configured Domino mailbox archiving etc

Was rather painless, there was more effort involved in getting a Domino lab together.

Obviously, in a production env, you would make sure to take a backup of all necessary components on the EV server you are adding the domino gateway role onto as a roll back plan.

I will mark as solved.

Toli

RBuyyan
Level 2

Hello everyone.

Since longtime we are working on Enterprise vault for Domino. Please suggest me regarding my concern as i am new to enterprise vault for Domino.

1) We have one primary Domino server.

2)In another VM we have installed ADS domino server , Sql server, EVDG server and storages everything was configured here. 

3) our requirement is we want to archieve journal archieving, Mail archieve. we have added targets everything fine. While running the provisional task it is showing as "no mailboxes found".

4) Please can anyone provide me Lab document I woulld be more thankful. Unable to understand Admin guide.

please forward to my mail id : buyyanrajinikanth220@gmail.com

5)Technical team could not provide any solution.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

You best create a new discussion. People don't look at the 'old and closed' ones.

Regards,

GJ

Regards. Gertjan